question What are the advantages of using both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz router bands?

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
I received a Verizon G1100 FiOS Gateway 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz router, to replace the Verizon ActionTec MI424WR 2.4 GHz router I've had since July 2012. Using the InSSIDer wireless access point detection software, I detected 210 wireless access points in my 23 story apartment building. Only one is using the 5 GHz band. The rest are using the 2.4 GHz band.

My new router has the ability to use both or either of the bands. Is there an advantage to using both bands, considering that the only competition to me on the 5 GHz band is one other user? Does using both bands give me greater download capabilities than using only the 5 GHz band? My wireless access point using the 5 GHz band, has the highest signal amplitude. The other 5 GHz user has a much lower one. Also, my wireless access point using the 2.4 GHz band, has the highest signal amplitude. My laptops are in a bedroom 8 feet from the router, with one wall of separation. Each of my two laptops are giving me a download speed of 58Mb/sec and an upload speed of 65 Mb/sec I've confirmed this, using Verizon's two speed tests and the www.speedtest.net speed test. The speed numbers of each laptop are consistent, regardless of the speed test I use.

On another matter of minimal importance, using the same URL as the old router 192.168.1.1 to enter the router configuration utility, the new router doesn't allow me to change the user name from the default of "admin." I tried a reset to default settings, and I'm stuck with "admin." In effect, the only secure action to entering the configuration page, is the password. This can be changed by the user. I have the latest router firmware.

Any ideas?

Stereodude

Not really a
5gHz doesn't penetrate walls as well, but there's usually much less congestion / intereference on the 5gHz band. I have a simultaneous dual band router and every device I own that supports 5gHz connects at 5gHz. I'm not aware of any devices that can use bridge both 2.4gHz and 5gHz for even higher throughput, but some might exist.

For me I get all sorts of random slow downs when I use 2.4gHz, especially in the evenings, even for LAN access. 5gHz stays fast all the time. My best guess it's some sort of interference / spectrum congestion. I've tried changing the channel and monitoring networks stats for lost packets / retries but have never really found a solid cause (no smoking gun). I just know it's slow. That's why I use 5gHz wherever possible.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you can segregate traffic, you'll both more aggregate bandwidth for each user because 802.11 bandwidth is split among connected devices. Two different radios = two pools of bandwidth. Typically, 5GHz bands offer higher bandwidth, but at shorter range. 2.4 has a serious advantage in terms of range and ability to penetrate objects.

I wouldn't get hung up on your inability to change the administrative username as long as you can set the password to something more appropriate.

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
Thank you Stereodude and Mercutio. If I'm reading your comments correctly, it looks like I ONLY should stick with the 5 GHz band and disable the 2.4 GHz band, because the attenuation of the 5 GHz signal due to the presence of a single wall is low, the distance between both laptops and the router is short and I have virtually no competition by anybody in my area at the 5GHz band.

I'm OK with the inability to change my user name, just like I'm OK having an old router having six status lights that was replaced with a router having two status lights. High tech comes with a price, namely less user control.

Handruin

Administrator
I know this doesn't specifically address your specific question but to present you with an additional option...if you want to use your own personal router this can be done with FiOS. I do this in my own home by disabled the WiFi completely from my actiontec and pass through a connection from my personal router to their actiontec so that the cable guide gets updated. My FiOS ONT box connects to the WAN-side connection of my personal router. I then pass a LAN-side connection from my personal router to the WAN side connection on the Actiontec. I've been using this for years and it's worked great.

My personal router has a lot more features and options for managing port-forwarding and wifi connection details that I wanted to take the FiOS router out of the equation.