Why can't I see "www.army.mil"?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Really strange. I used to see this site. Don't know when it started... Now it just can't load. After some time I get the usual "The page cannot be displayed" of dead links...

Facts:
-Firewall is deactivated
-Using two browsers: IE 6 and Opera 6
-Other sites of .mil designation (namely, www.navy.mil and www.af.mil) function normally
-William (Rocco) has been able to access the site from his PC in Greece.

What could it be? Should I call X-Files?! :-?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I *do* know that there have been problems with one of the European backbones (Ebone) in the last few days. When backbones go down, routers lose static routes and it can take awhile for BGP (dynamically configured) routes to re-configure throughout the network.
Maybe there just wasn't a way to get between you and army.mil.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mark,
I won't be using DOS even if I had to pee on my PC to stop it from overheating... :roll:
There used to be a cool Windows progie which traced the "signal" across the 'Net... Back in 1997-8 (when I was in high school). Its name was GeoBoy... is it still around?! A quick search showed me no more... :(

Sam,
where do you get your information about which backbone is down and which not?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Prof.Wizard said:
Mark,
I won't be using DOS even if I had to pee on my PC to stop it from overheating... :roll:
There used to be a cool Windows progie which traced the "signal" across the 'Net... Back in 1997-8 (when I was in high school). Its name was GeoBoy... is it still around?! A quick search showed me no more... :(

Sam,
where do you get your information about which backbone is down and which not?

He meant command prompt. start->run-> cmd

tracert www.army.mil

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Hit http://www.internettrafficreport.com for some more info.
I heard about Euroland backbone problems on slashdot.org a couple days ago. Evidently it's worldcom-related.
OK Mercutio. Thanx.
Nice to know that link for "traffic jams"... :wink:

I executed tracert. It somehow repeats in some qwest.net [205.171.x.x] servers... then gives 4-5 IPs (no other data) and then times out before reaching the target IP (of www.army.mil)... In comparison, www.navy.mil passes from another server circuitry... ALTER.NET [152.63.x.x]

Isn't it strange?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Wait a sec... is this tracert working or what?! :frowner:

It gives me "timed out" a totally normal connection (that of my Uni at www.uniroma1.it) and "Destination net unreachable" to the normal-working www.navy.mil

Damn. Where is GeoBoy when you need him?!

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Try Neotrace if you want something with more features. It also graphs you the physical path of the hops on a map etc..

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
OK... now computer gurus of this world... enlighten me! :-?

Two months later and I still can't access www.army.mil . It's not a firewall issue since even if I shut it down, neither me nor my housemate can access the site.

I guess they probably have disallowed the first two or three numbers of my IP, can't explain it in another way. But why? I didn't try to hack the place... :(

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Maybe it looks too much like a game site and Greeks aren't allowed?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
flagreen said:
Maybe it looks too much like a game site and Greeks aren't allowed?
Hahahahah... that was really mean... :lol:

Well, after the whole world ROFL with my country now the law is going for scrap, thank god.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sorry, I couldn't resist. You know Davin is working on a website project for the Pentagon. Maybe you could post this question on SR and get some info out of him. Or even email him. He had a thread in the Bar and Grille about what the definition of web site is. Why not try there?