Wide URL: can your browser cope?

CNN Sport

What is this storage?
"Dave, is your monitor OK?"

"No, Ed. My screen is scrolling. Must be that damn new technician, what's his name again?"

"Mozilla Win, Dave."

"Yeah, that's the one. Damn cost-cutters over in the Admin building. Guess we better take a station break."

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Opera 6.01 scrolls too, guys. Looks like the php people stuffed up: didn't test with a wide enough range of browsers. Funny that, you'd think, being open source, they would test with Mozilla first. Anyone know if this is on their known bug list?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Given that Moz and Opera both scroll, it's entirely possible that scrolling is the "correct" behavior.

Handruin

Administrator
Two things for me to investigate when I get home. First one is Mecutio's point regarding which browser is displaying the page correctly?

Shooting from the hip I would say it is a table rendering issue, or perhaps the browsers that scroll are not parsing the “wrap” property. The phpBB code is fairly complex, and finding how it creates the tables will take some time. I will also look into their bug tracking list which can be found at http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/

I have one bug logged so far that pertains to the "ATL" tag not displaying the correct information for new posts. I'll look through them and see if this issue is in there.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You may well be right, Mercutio. As I'm sure you know, Opera and Moz are
both generally regarded as "well behaved" browsers, that comply much
more closely with the official W3C specs than IE does (though to be far, MS
have improved IE quite substantially in recent times. But just the same, in
this instance I think IE's behaviour is clearly more user friendly, and it
would seem to be a good idea for the php people to see if they can't
address a fairly significant problem with their code. Unless, of course, it so
happens that it is Moz and Opera which have it wrong this time, and IE which
is fully implementing the standard. Stranger things have happened.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
It's wrapping in IE6. I also note that it's doing word breaks at the % characters, so parameters seem to be kept intact for readabliity.

- Fushigi

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Opera 6.03 breaks the text where there are slashes, so it word wraps after the last slash but displays the rest of the string in one piece. It still needs to scroll to display it all.

Mozilla RC3 doesn't word wrap it.

As pointed out, IE 5 breaks it at non-text characters (eg %20).

Handruin

Administrator
Well I'm not finding out all that much right now. I read one post over at the phpbb support page where someone else complained about the same issue, but no one replied.

I put together an HTML page that is essentially the same problem shown above. I believe three things at this point:

1- Microsoft thought they would be nice and wrap long URLs for us

2- Opera doesn't know how to wrap long URLs

3- phpBB forum is written correctly because the same result occurs when a table is combined with a very long URL as seen in my example page below.

I made an HTML compliant nested table and included the link listed above. Opera scrolls off the page, but IE 6.0 does not. If anyone else cares to take a look, point your compliant/noncompliant browser to the link below and send us your feedback please.

http://beta.storageforum.net/url.html

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Handruin said:
http://beta.storageforum.net/url.html

Horizontal scrolling needed with both Konqueror 3.0.1 and a slightly patched Mozilla 1.0-branch checkout from earlier today (i.e., 1.0.1 prerelease).

Handruin

Administrator
Crap, let me edit that HTML file, I'm screwing up the test... the long line that I included is making it wrap for every browser, the difference is that the URL will wrap, but the continuos line does not.

Too bad I'm a dodo and didn't explain what I was doing... :roll:

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Handruin said:
Crap, let me edit that HTML file, I'm screwing up the test... the long line that I included is making it wrap for every browser, the difference is that the URL will wrap, but the continuos line does not.

Too bad I'm a dodo and didn't explain what I was doing... :roll:

Still needs horizonal scrolliing on both Mozilla and Konqueror.