Will a 1000 MHz slot 1 PIII work in an AX6B motherboard?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm interested in upgrading my current processor and I've noticed that 1 GHz PIII slot 1 processors are available which use a 100 MHz front side bus. My AX6B motherboard is slot 1 and 100 MHz bus(currently overclocked to 112 MHz). The current processor is a PII-450. The problem is that processor multipliers only go up to 8 in the CMOS settings. Will the 1000 MHz part work properly since it has a multiplier of 10? Does anyone have any experience with this particular processor and M/B? Or can anyone suggest some other alternatives that will give a similar speed boost and are known to work. Although I can set the FSB up to 133 MHz in the CMOS settings, I would rather go with a processor with a 100 MHz FSB and higher multiplier in order to have better overclocking possibilities. I am not interested in getting a completely new M/B and processor so please don't suggest this. My budget for this upgrade is $100 or less and a processor and M/B won't fit in this budget, especially if I can't reuse my 768 MB of PC133 SDRAM in the new board. However, I want to be sure the processor will work since I will probably buy it on eBay where most auctions have limited or no return possibilities.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't comment on that specific board, but I put a lot of fast Celerons (600s and 700s) on LX-based boards that didn't support anything like a 10x multiplier, and they worked OK.

I'm not sure about pricing on that chip, but a 1.3GHz Duron and a fairly decent motherboard should run well under $100, and you can use all the same RAM and stuff.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
jtr1962 said:
I'm interested in upgrading my current processor and I've noticed that 1 GHz PIII slot 1 processors are available which use a 100 MHz front side bus. My AX6B motherboard is slot 1 and 100 MHz bus(currently overclocked to 112 MHz). The current processor is a PII-450. The problem is that processor multipliers only go up to 8 in the CMOS settings. Will the 1000 MHz part work properly since it has a multiplier of 10? Does anyone have any experience with this particular processor and M/B?

Check here and here, then here.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Mercutio and Cliptin. It looks like the Powerleap adaptor will be the best bet here since it will let me go up to 1.4GHz. The system is flashed with the latest BIOS so I should be OK according to the compatibility list. I guess all that's left to do is check eBay from time to time for the best deal. The 1.2 GHz upgrade is currently at $63, so if I can get it for under $100 it should fit the bill.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The best possibility for me is the adaptor and 1.4 GHz Celeron(100 MHz FSB). The CPU alone is going on Pricewatch for ~$65. I should be able to overclock to at least 112 MHz, which would give me 1.568 GHz. :) Now it's just a matter of paying as little as possible for the adaptor.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
The adaptor? You'd need a Powerleap adaptor to run a Tualatin CPU such as the C1400 on a slot 1 board. Those are not very cheap.

I've found that it makes no difference if the board supports the multiplier or not - any CPU has worked fine for me in boards that don't actually support it, presumably because the multiplier on P3 is locked and does not require a motherboard setting for it.

From what I've seen, Slot 1 P3-1000 that run on 100 FSB are rare and therefore expensive. To the extent of selling the old mobo and getting a new one that works with a socket 370 CPU comes to the same money, just that this way you can use a proper 133 FSB processor instead - I doubt the 100MHz FSB P3-1000 will overclock by any significant amount.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I forgot to mention, there is a trick where you clip off three pins and short two pins on the Tualatin using a wire and then they appear to work on a BX board or whatever else doesn't normally support them. I've no idea how it works as far as voltages are concerned, but I did get a Tualatin 1.13 working on an old Soyo SY6BA+IV board and slotket, and the BIOS indicated 1.45v which is the correct voltage FWIW.

A little late but oh well.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
NRG = mc² said:
A little late but oh well.

Thanks anyway. That trick sounds interesting. Do you have any links to it? Moot point though. Yesterday I bought a 1.4 GHz Celeron and Powerleap adaptor for $128(a bit more than I had planned to spend). It is compatible with my M/B according to Powerleap's website. I may have been able to get an equivalent processor and new M/B for about the same price, but I just didn't see what the advantages of going that route would be. Much more work to install, and more chances of things going wrong. There might be issues with drivers for the new chipset. In the end my AX6B is very stable, and I already have ATA100 using a Promise card. About the only advantage a new M/B would give me is the ability to use 512 MB double-sided and 256 MB single-sided DIMMs. This isn't enough reason to bother going through all the extra work. Most Celerons are very overclockable, so hopefully I should be able to run at 112 MHz FSB, which will give me 1.568 GHz. Next highest FSB setting is 133 MHz, and I doubt the Celeron will be stable overclocked by that much so I won't go any higher than 112 MHz.

I'll actually be left with enough spare parts from previous upgrades to build another PC after I put in the new CPU. I just need to buy a case. I already have a spare Slot 1 M/B, 256 MB RAM, video card, and will have the PII-450 to put in the new system. Unfortunately, the MSI-6117 M/B that I'll be putting it in can only do 75 MHz FSB, so the PII will end up underclocked at 337.5 MHz, but it'll still make a decently fast machine for most things.

I could have bought a 1.4 GHz PIII and Powerleap adaptor for $290 total(much more than I wanted to spend). Since this is 133 MHZ FSB there would be no overclocking possibilities. Speedwise, would a 1.4 GHz Celeron overclocked to 1.568 MHz be the equal of a 1.4 GHz PIII? Just curious.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The processor arrived today. It took me all of 2 minutes to connect everything and fire it up. It POSTed the first time at 100 MHz FSB and has been running stably all day at 112 MHz FSB. I tried going to 133 MHz but it wouldn't even post, and my M/B doesn't have any settings between 112 and 133. I suppose I could play with the core voltage on the Powerleap card and try a little more if I wanted to, but I'm happy with it as is. It doesn't seem to put out any more heat than my stock PII, which is nice. In fact, the CPU temps are even a few degrees less owing to the better type of heat sink.

The system benchmarks a little more than 3 times faster than previously. Also, real world computation intensive tasks like zipping large folders seem to go about 3 times faster. Naturally, the difference is barely noticeable for some tasks like word processing and spreadsheets, but then I didn't notice much difference with those things when I went from a 200 MHz Pentium to a 450 MHz PII. Still, even with tasks like that the programs open almost instantly and the system feels snappier. Boot time is almost exactly the same, and is probably HDD limited. Overall, a pretty good investment and much easier than changing out a M/B. The improvement in MS Train Simulator is dramatic. My frame rates in cities with a lot of scenery jumped from 3 or 4 fps to 15-20 fps. Much more realistic now that it doesn't look like a slideshow. In less scenicked areas I went from 15 or 20 to 50+ fps. Very nice, and I'm still using a Voodoo3 card. I imagine there would be further improvement with a more recent graphics card.