Win2k + Novell

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I took a call today from a guy trying to get some Win2k workstation talking to a Novell Netware server. After he'd calmed down a bit, it transpired that he had to login locally to Windows as Administrator before he could attach to the Novell server as a valid user.

At least that's the garbled account I got over the phone.

This is with Microsoft's netware client (or NWlink service as they call it). I don't recall ever using this. For me, the obvious solution is to install Novell's client, rather than attempting to understand Microsoft's byzantine ideas of "connectivity". But hey, I figured one or three of you guys will know instantly what is wrong. :mrgrn:

So, how do you control authentication with a Novell server using the tools provided by Microsoft?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IIRC, the Microsoft client won't talk to Netware 5 using TCP/IP. NWLink must be installed and configured for the correct frame type. In addition, the Novell client must specify the correct prefered tree and context in order for a login to work.

When all those requirements are fulfilled, he should be able to log on easily.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's Netware 4.2 actually, so still IPX/SPX (their other servers are NT and various flavours of Unix, all connected via TCP/IP).

Given that he can eventually login, how would frame type affect this?

I'd love to know how you set preferred tree and context in the MS client. Please share!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The MS client for MS networks or the MS client for Netware?

The MS Client for Netware, it's just a radio button between bindery server and tree/context in the properties of the MS client for Novell (and of course a textbox to enter that value).

I think you can also manually specify the fully-qualified path on the login prompt if you have to (i.e. CN=... etc), but it's been a long time since I've worked on Netware anything.

If he is eventually logging in, frame type is obviously not an issue.

Oh, and the login prompt he's greeted with when he turns on the machine should be the first one on the list in "Local Area Connection", so if the Microsoft Client is at the top of the list, he'll get that before a Novell prompt.