Win98 Can't Read CDR or Bad CDROM Drive?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I created a CD with Nero so I could get some drivers installed on a friends machine. Their machine, which is runnng WIn98SE, refuses to properly read the CD. It is very very slow (minutes instead of seconds) to copy files and then when they do copy over they are corrupt.

This is an old 24x cdrom drive. Do you think it is a problem with WinSE not being able to recognize some format or something or is it just that the reader is old and crappy. It is a no-name brand....

Thanks,
Clocker

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
I created a CD with Nero so I could get some drivers installed on a friends machine. Their machine, which is runnng WIn98SE, refuses to properly read the CD. It is very very slow (minutes instead of seconds) to copy files and then when they do copy over they are corrupt.

This is an old 24x cdrom drive. Do you think it is a problem with WinSE not being able to recognize some format or something or is it just that the reader is old and crappy. It is a no-name brand....

Thanks,
Clocker

How did you burn the CD-R? As in, did you do a "disc at once", "session at once", "track at once"? Is the CD-R still an open session, or is it a multisession CD-R? It sounds like a CRC issue where the cd-rom drive is having difficulty tracking the CD-R. If you have a different type of CD-R disc you could try that.

If the CD-ROM drive is in question, I would write a new CD using "disc at once" and finalize the CD-R so that it closes.

Use this for compatibility:
No multisession, ISO level 1, ISO 9660, mode 1, disc at once, and finalize CD-R. Try this combination, as I believe it should be compatible with all CD-R drives.

just my $.02

-Doug

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the input guys. It turns out that the CD-Reader was bad.

Doug- I just used Nero's default settings for burning a disk (whatever those are).

I put a new drive in there and it worked fine....

Thanks,
Clocker