Windows Phone 7

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I wasn't aware of the temporary nature of win phone 7 in relation to developers. Sounds like 7 was mostly silverlight based and the different versions of 8 will have more in common with each other than they do with 7. So basically when moving to 8 the app store for windows phone starts over again.

Is Time Running Out For Windows Phone?
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/networking/time-running-out-windows-phone-143020

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As I understand it, Silverlight is basically a dead technology at Microsoft now. Microsoft is awesome at communicating its new tech to devs, but boy does it suck the way they roll things out and just drop them.

Mercutio

I honestly think WM7 was completely the wrong direction. I was legitimately happy with my WM6.5 device for the span of its life. I was able to use it to do work. The feature set of WM7 removed a lot of the tools I was actually using; WM7 is much more like an entertainment device than a tool. I don't know if that's wrong, but I know I became more uninterested in it the more I found out about it. As I understand it, a lot of ios people cheerlead for it as a competitor for Android. I don't understand that mentality either.

In the end, I think Microsoft does the stodgy business stuff really well and completely fails at "lifestyle" computing. That's completely apparent every time I've been to a Microsoft Store. It's never going to be Apple. I don't know why they keep trying.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I liked the concepts and videos of the UI I saw but never checked out a device. Specifically the integration between the apps looked fairly tight for things you would need to do quickly every day, the whole basis for the silly smoked by win phone contest. Massive difference in the mobile 6 device I had and appears all for the better I thought.

Mercutio

WM6 was much more file and document centric in a way that I found helpful. Seemingly no major mobile OS has really stayed on that path; everything is apps and widgets now.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yup, pretty much no one wants to deal with directory names and file extensions on a mobile device. On my old asus a696 i used to be able to access a windows file share, copy a book from my file server and drop it into my ebook reader app ubooks and I kind of wish I had that back. Certainly can't do that on any apple device, doubt it is possible on win phone, and android maybe?

Mercutio

I do it all the goddamned time on Android. It's not built in, but it's ridiculously simple to find SMB clients.

Mercutio

Given that Microsoft is propping up Nokia as its Windows Mobile hardware manufacturer of choice, why would HTC really want to make a huge investment in something that's pretty clearly a non-starter that's just going to be abandoned the minute Win8 is available on ARM and Medfield anyway?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
HTC I think was big for the last version of windows mobile.
There was a version of the EVO that was windows mobile that I think was popular.
Microsoft's move is surprising and may stir anti-competitive waters.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone vaguely annoyed that phone 7 handsets won't get 8? Or did we all see that coming?

Mercutio

I was rather more surprised to learn that Windows Mobile 8 is going to be upgraded to allow a maximum screen resolution of 1024x600.