Windows XP Home w/SP3 ISO

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi all,

I've been tasked to reinstall Windows XP Home on a eeePC netbook, and have pretty much everything sorted out how to install XP via a USB key, etc...

However, I don't have a Windows XP Home CD nor ISO. I've checked both of my MSDNAA accounts, and neither offer XP Home, just XP Pro.

Anyone willing to offer a download link to an ISO. (I know there on TPB, IsoHunt, etc, but want a trusted source).

PS. I've got valid license keys, etc, just need an ISO to install from.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
You need to specify OEM vs retail. They use different keys, so an key for OEM will not work on a retail copy and the same for the inverse.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Done...

If anyone asks to reinstall Windows XP onto a netbook (or any machine without a CD drive), upgrade them to Windows 7... Installation of XP via a USB stick is a nightmare.

(I attempted 4 different methods, with only the 4th method actually working, but reading from online posts on the eeepc forum, not any one method is known to work with all hardware configurations, so you need to try a few different methods).

Just luckily nLite exists so I could slipstream some drivers (like the Intel INF updates, and the AHCI drivers) just to get past the first install stage so that the hardware is recognised enough to get to a functioning desktop.

Stereodude

Not really a
If anyone asks to reinstall Windows XP onto a netbook (or any machine without a CD drive), upgrade them to Windows 7... Installation of XP via a USB stick is a nightmare.
USB Optical drives and USB floppy drives exist for a reason. :bomb:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
USB Optical drives and USB floppy drives exist for a reason. :bomb:
They surely do... but when you don't have one, it's hard to justify the cost of one just for a one-off installation.

Also must mention, the use of USB optical drive for installing XP relies heavily on the BIOS (to provide some form of emulation) or using nLite to ensure all the USB mass storage and USB optical drivers are loaded/installed in both part 1 and 2 of the installation process... otherwise the XP installation won't see your installation medium.. :crap:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
~the use of USB optical drive for installing XP relies heavily on the BIOS (to provide some form of emulation)~

Which every notebook/netbook for the past couple years at least should be getting right.