WTB: Intel Socket 478 Retail HSF's

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone have any Intel Socket 478 HSF's from the Prescott era lying around they'd be willing to part with? These are the ones with the copper slug in the center and radial aluminum fins, not the all aluminum variety.

I'm looking for one of these two versions:
1)
intelhsf3.jpg

2)
intelhsf2.jpg
intelhsf1.jpg

I'm not looking for this one:
intelhsf4.jpg

Thanks!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I probably have a few someplace, but I can't be bothered to go look for them. I'm not sure if they're the style you want, anyway.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I found one in my junk pile. I wouldn't be able to ship it to you for a couple of weeks though. I'll be out of town.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Good luck, most I had were thrown out after a year or so. The plastic mount on the motherboard or the heatsink itself was under a lot of tension and broke on all of mine.

Stereodude

Not really a
I found one in my junk pile. I wouldn't be able to ship it to you for a couple of weeks though. I'll be out of town.
It's ok. I bought two from ebay already since I didn't get any bites here or on the Hardforum.

Stereodude

Not really a
Good luck, most I had were thrown out after a year or so. The plastic mount on the motherboard or the heatsink itself was under a lot of tension and broke on all of mine.
The motherboard & CPU combo I bought on ebay for my backup server did not have the retention clip on the board. Apparently it's optional from Supermicro. It has a screaming 60mm or so fan on the HSF that uses it's own mounting plate on the back and screws. It's way too loud and I don't like the way it blows the air (pic). So. I bought a socket 478 retention clip held on by screws with a back plate and plan to use one of the retail Intel HSF's for cooling. Due to the somewhat odd placement and orientation of the CPU on the motherboard I'm not sure what aftermarket cooler will fit it since obviously Supermicro boards aren't tested for fit with aftermarket coolers. The last generation of Intel HSF's for Socket 478 are actually pretty good, so that should cover me.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
At the time I was able to find metal replacements that fit the intel footprint on the motherboard. Sounds like what you got. Looks like you have tons of room around that CPU too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not sure I saw a P4 with a metal retention clip. That's too bad because all the ones I can find are broken.

Did P4s do anything right?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life

Stereodude

Not really a

Stereodude

Not really a
ARGH!!! I bought two of these last Thursday before noon local time and the seller didn't even print the shipping label until today. Judging from how late I got the notice I don't think the postal service is going to see them until tomorrow. Good thing I'm not eager to get this machine together. :rolleyes: