Shooting Video (HQ "4k"/UHD/1080p)

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone here dabble with shooting high quality video? I'm not talking about grabbing a quick clip with a cell phone to throw up on Fakebook, but shooting something more at the prosumer level with a stabilization rig, and non-linear editing in post. When I last messed around with shooting video Digital8 and DV were the formats of choice, you shot video with a camcorder, and good stabilization wasn't available to an enthusiast. After seeing what can be done with a ~$500 gimbal and a few thousand dollar camera has me interested in dabbling in video again.

However, there are so many different approaches to shooting video now. There are still high'ish end camcorders like the Sony HXR-NX80 or Canon XF400. There are P&S cameras with similar video capabilities like the Sony RX100 Mk V. Then there's DSLR's like the Canon EOS 5D MKIV and 80D. We can't forget MILCs like the Panasonic GH5 and GH5S, or the slew of them from Sony the α6500, α7R III, etc... Then there are "cinema" cameras like the Canon Cinema EOS C200 and C300 MkII, Panasonic AU-EVA1, RED, etc...

Now of course I understand that they're not all the same. The sensor size varies. Some only have a 1" sensor (that's not really even 1"), some are Super35, some are APS-C, some are micro 4/3, some are full frame 35mm. Some have interchangeable lenses, some don't. Some are pure video cameras and some are still cameras with video capability. But, ultimately they're all paths to the roughly the same thing. It seems like a recipe for paralysis by analysis. Canon gimps the video capabilities of their P&S and DSLR still cameras compared to what Sony and Panasonic offer making them not so appealing.

Speaking of Sony, they're nuts... For example, they offer the same 1" sensor and video capabilities into vastly different platforms. DSC-RX0 (quasi-action cam), RX100 Mk V (P&S), RX10 Mk IV (AIO), FDR-AX700/HXR-NX80/PXW-Z90 (camcorders). The lens differs, but they basically all have the same video capabilities...

Right now I'm thinking to start with a gimbal that can support both my RX100 MkII and EOS 5D MkII and try my hand with what I can do before shelling out dough for something with better video capability so I have a better handle on what path to take.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Anyone here dabble with shooting high quality video? I'm not talking about grabbing a quick clip with a cell phone to throw up on Fakebook, but shooting something more at the prosumer level with a stabilization rig, and non-linear editing in post. When I last messed around with shooting video Digital8 and DV were the formats of choice, you shot video with a camcorder, and good stabilization wasn't available to an enthusiast. After seeing what can be done with a ~$500 gimbal and a few thousand dollar camera has me interested in dabbling in video again.

Right now I'm thinking to start with a gimbal that can support both my RX100 MkII and EOS 5D MkII and try my hand with what I can do before shelling out dough for something with better video capability so I have a better handle on what path to take.

I suggest a true fluid video head. I have three gimbals (including a Sidekick) and they lack the viscous coupling for smooth panning.

Stereodude

Not really a
I suggest a true fluid video head. I have three gimbals (including a Sidekick) and they lack the viscous coupling for smooth panning.
A fluid video head is great if you're using a tripod. For handheld shooting they don't do squat (as they're not used). The ZhiYun gimbal I played with at CES had very smooth panning in one of the modes controlled by twisting the handle. I want to get more professional looking stable video with smooth movements while shooting handheld. A tripod can be one tool in the arsenal for achieving that, but I'm not looking to shoot a pre-planned sequence with dollys, booms, cranes, steadicam rigs, etc. like how a movie or TV shows are done.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
A fluid video head is great if you're using a tripod. For handheld shooting they don't do squat (as they're not used). The ZhiYun gimbal I played with at CES had very smooth panning in one of the modes controlled by twisting the handle. I want to get more professional looking stable video with smooth movements while shooting handheld. A tripod can be one tool in the arsenal for achieving that, but I'm not looking to shoot a pre-planned sequence with dollys, booms, cranes, steadicam rigs, etc. like how a movie or TV shows are done.

Oh, I have no idea. I assume you are strong and can handle the loads.