10K RPM, 2.5" SCSI Seagate hard drive

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Assuming that power laptops will one day have an external SATA connector, a portable SATA drive will prob give a good balance of performance and capacity.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Does anyone know of a laptop with native SCSI onboard that this drive will work in?

I think it has the most value in 1u enclosures, or blades, where space is at an extreme premimum.

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
P5-133XL said:
Does anyone know of a laptop with native SCSI onboard that this drive will work in?

There aren't any notebooks with SCSI (there were a few aeons ago, like the first Apple doorstop, or the hyper-expensive early Tadpole/Sun notebooks). There are a few SATA notebooks. But, of course, SATA is not upwardly compatible with SAS, so that won't work. Eventually, all notebooks -- just like desktops -- will use SATA.

I think it has the most value in 1u enclosures, or blades, where space is at an extreme premimum.

Information density, as in volumetric density, which helps reduce rack space consumption. Storage professionals often jabber of such lofty things as volumetric density when planning what to do about ever-shrinking floorspace -- like what tape format yields the highest volumetric density, and now, how much arrays based on 2.5-inch discs will save them in storage density and rack space.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Santilli said:
WOW!!! Do they work in laptops...
s

Greg,

Look at the power requirements and tell me if you would want one in a notebook. :eek: The spinup time is also rather long as one would expect.