15K.4

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The SR review of the 15K.4 is up and it is disappointing. The MAU crushes it in the workstation tests, but the server benchmarks for both the new Seagate and Fujitsu 15K drives are worse than their predecessors. I have been witing forever (well, 24 months) for a new drive and this is not good. The new Maxtor 15K results are not posted yet, but I am not expecting a miracle. Maybe we need some improved technology, not just more densely packed platters.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Think we are reaching the limits of the hardware? I would say it's close to as good as it gets, there is only so much you can do with RPM and swinging an arm back and forth.

It's interesting the CPU's are capping out now too. The P4 4Gig cancelled and both AMD and Intel going dual CPU in one package. Looks like paralell is the way of the future.

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
It isn't THAT bad. After al, sustained transfer rates are up significantly.

• [list:b460f86065] Chew Posted: Nov 15 2004, 07:22 PM
    Member No.: 2550

Having a SAS interface should have very little effect on performance. They could plug an ATA interface on the same mechanism included in any SAS drive and it should perform essentially the same. Or perhaps a little worse if some form of Command Queuing wasn't implemented. But the SCSI interface has no performance limiting factors as compared to SAS.
[/list:u:b460f86065] Oh ya. I just love the level of storage expertise over there at Storage Review!