1xPCIe Video cards

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Where are the 1x PCIe video cards?

Does a Radeon x1050 really NEED an extra 15 PCIe lanes to operate?
Does a Geforce 7100?

Are there secret things we can do with all the 1x PCIe slots on our motherboards besides put USB faceplates in front of them?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
SIIG makes a variety of x1 cards that offer some helpful expansion, such as FireWire 800 and eSATA. Matrox makes the G550 x1 dual-head video card, which can drive two 19" LCD digital displays at 1280 x 1024 each. One of these Matrox cards with two Samsung 940BX displays would work great for a programmer or financial institution.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I am thinking more generally about the fact that there are a lot of truly video low-end cards that are sitting on the highest of high-bandwidth interfaces on a given PC.

Why make a card hog a bunch of PCIe lanes it can't even begin to use?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Are the extra lanes just picking up more power to run the card and allow use without a power connector? I have a low end 6200 and it actually does a little 3D work so it probably draws a little power. Just a guess.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think that's right because the SIIG PCIe 1x cards for firewire have an external power connector.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think that's right because the SIIG PCIe 1x cards for firewire have an external power connector.

IIRC the spec for 6-pin powered firewire requires 12V@1.5A to power external devices. That was since the late 90s at least.