2½" 10K SCSI anyone?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting that the SAS versions gulp more power, operating and idle. Wonder if it is because the parallel SCSI versions have been honed over the years (I didn't think they cared a whole lot about heat/power issues till now, notwithstanding their use in blade servers).

Max 73GB capacity, 10k RPM. Probably costly as well. In a year or two, it would be fun to put these in one of those Supermicro hot swap cases when building a system.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd guess that SAS, like SATA, uses more power, in part, because the interface is "always on." In serial ATA, the host and device constantly pass packets, even when no data or commands are being sent.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
Ummm... this is more or less old news (at least around here).

There are older subjects and threads here at SF that cover various 2½-inch "Enterprise" hard drives -- drives running at 10kRPM, Ultra320 SCSI, SAS, SATA (7200 RPM), products that were using them, etc.

A few highlights (as I recall 'em) were:

• Seagate is now shipping the Savvio (last September, I believe). HP was gobbling them up as fast as they could make them;

Hitachi had 10kRPM 2½-inch SAS drives but decided to hold off until later (next generation) for such and concentrate on 2½-inch 7200 RPM SATA2 enterprise drives;

Maxtor has shown working 2½-inch enterprise SCSI (SAS also?) drives at expositions a couple of times a while back (now), but has yet to officially announce them;

Fujitsu jumped out pushing 2½-inch Ultra320 SCSI and SAS enterprise hard drives around December of last year and has since gained a few OEM contracts. One of those contracts is with Bell Micro Products, where Fujitsu is providing 2½-inch 10kRPM SAS enterprise hard drives, LSI Logic is providing SAS host bus adapters, and none other than Supermicro (?!?) providing a 2-U height rackmount chassis with (I believe) 14 SCA drive bay openings for all those iddy biddy 2½-inch SAS hard drives and redundant power supply.