2.5" HDD review

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Could be a chipset/firmware/driver clash for the poor hitachi showing

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
... 2.5" Serial ATA hard drives actually use the same connectors as their desktop counterparts. These drives plug into standard SATA data and power cables .... Unfortunately, the connector compatibility enjoyed by 2.5" SATA hard drives doesn't extend to mobile ATA drives. Those drives require pin and power adapters to work with desktop ATA systems

WTF are they prattling on about? That sense completely makes loss add of contadiction doesn't up logic.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The 5,400-RPM drives obviously have much lower seek times due to their slower spindle speeds

Oh dear.........

I can sense a complete vomit job lurking somewhere in the back of my mind - or is it just a false alarm?. Was that howler just a slip of the pen? Or could this review get worse as it goes along? Read it and see, I suppose.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh, to hell with it. Maybe it gets better, maybe it doesn't. I got bored and stopped reading already.

Errr ... but 5400 RPM Seagate beats a 7200 RPM Hitachi? Seek times near enough to the same, same cache, same interface ..... sounds pretty suss to me. Either we have a chipset problem (well, it is an Intel, which ain't a great start), or we have a howling dud of a drive (from Hitachi? That bad - I can't see it) or else we have a measurement problem. Got to be (a) or (c), you'd think. Someone else can figure it out. I'm bored already.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
No way. I have many Seagate 5400 RPM drives and they are not very fast. Even the old Hitachi 7200 rpm drives were faster.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The former IBM makes notoriosly awful 2.5" hard disks and always has. I was pleased to find a Fujitsu drive in my T40, as I've heard tales of OEMs taking delivery of two IBM/Hitachi 2.5" drives for every one they order.

LunarMist

I don't know much about the older IBM drives, but the 7K60 was faster than anything in its time. The main problem was that the heel of my palm would become uncomfortably hot after long sessions. I was concerned about the reliablity of such a hot drive in my little P5K.

LunarMist

I noticed that Samsung now makes notebook drives. The 120GB 5400 rpm model is very cheap (~$185 as of this writing). Are they any good for mass storage? Three of those drives in external USB enclosures would be useful for my travel needs and relatively inexpensive.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have used a moderate number of the Samsung 40G and 80GB notebook drives LM, and had the usual excellent samsung reliability from them. Rigt now I run a pair of 80GB ones (one external) and I'm wondering whether I should buy the 120GB now or wait and see how long it takes them to release a 160. I think I'll go for the 120 as it's getting harder and harder to do anything useful with 80GB.

LunarMist

The 160GB drives are still $340, so 120GB drives are the better value.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
I have used a moderate number of the Samsung 40G and 80GB notebook drives LM, and had the usual excellent samsung reliability from them.
I hope I have the same experience, Tannin. I just built a 2.5" external with a Sammy 100GB (HM100JC), the new(?) M60 series, which run a bit cooler and draw a wee bit less power than the M40 series. It'll be my Thinkpad T23's best friend. It's going to be a workhorse and house important data for the next 4 months.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
LunarMist said:
The 160GB drives are still $340, so 120GB drives are the better value.

If it would give me an extra 40GB in my laptop, I'd pay the money, Lunar, pay it without a second thought. But Im leery of buying any drive that isn't a Samsung. When you get right down to it, I just don't trust Western Digital, Maxtor, IBM, and Seagate with my data. Hell, I don't trust Samsung drives with my data on them, it's just that I don't trust Western Digital drives even more than I don't trust Samsung ones.

Data paranoia: not just something you have on Sunday mornings, it's a whole way of life.

LunarMist

Tannin said:
Data paranoia: not just something you have on Sunday mornings, it's a whole way of life.

I don't trust any notebooko drives. For that reason I travel with plenty of extra ones. I hope that a notebook with a 160GB drive, two external 120GB USB drives, two 100GB PSDs, and two extra 80GB USB drives will be enough to let me sleep well on a 3-week trip.