2.5" x 1TB

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It's not really all that surprising. Do most business use the 2.5" x 15 mm drives in storage servers?

LunarMist

It's not really all that surprising. Do most businesses use the 2.5" x 15 mm drives in storage servers?

Handruin

Administrator
It's not really all that surprising. Do most business use the 2.5" x 15 mm drives in storage servers?

Partially yes and no. All of our blade environments use 2.5" drives. Many of the newer Dell's we use offer the option for either 2.5" or 3.5". For all of those systems, we only use the internal drives to boot (in a mirrored config) and then we connect to external SAN-based storage for the bulk of the work.

We rarely need more than 146GB in the 2.5" form factor.

LunarMist

That's kind of what I expected. Do the Seagate 7.2K SAS drives suffer from poor reliability as do their 3.5" SATA drives?

LunarMist

Whoever buys the drives to build storage systems should not put up with that for long. I know that if we find a major supplier to be below standard they are done for, even if it takes 3-5 years to withdraw completely. However, it should be easier to switch vendors where there is a comparable an off-the-shelf product. Maybe 1-2 years is enough?