2003 Server DVD player?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Anyone have a program that plays DVD's on 2003 Server?
PowerDVD doesn't support 2003 Server, and says Direct x is version 8, when it's actuall 9.03C, and won't install.

GS

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
PowerDVD 6 works and so does PowerDVD 4.
You may need to install a graphics driver and turn on graphics acceleration, which is off by default.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got version 5.0, and, it's not supported by tech support. The hardware graphics acceleration is on, and, the newest ATI drivers are installed.

I can't remember how to check for the version of Direct X, but I thought I downloaded the new version, and installed it.

Greg

Mercutio

dxdiag, and tech supports everywhere say their stuff doesn't work on server versions of windows when it actually does.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Weird.

I installed it on the work computer, which is Direct X 8. and it works fine...

Again, weird.

GS

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Right click on My computer. Select properties. Click on Advanced>Performance.
Click on Data Execution Prevention.

Make sure that 'Turn on DEP for all programs...... is not selected.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Still gives me the same message, and, direct X 9.0C is installed...
Weird.

Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
2003 Server, while a blindingly fast os, does have it's quirks.

I've been playing Call of Duty on the machine, but, it will not install Call of Duty United Offensive.

As much as I can tell, the install code looks for the os, and, since it doesn't find the text in the ini. text approving 2003, it doesn't install.

That, and no DVD player, doesn't make a great OS for games.

I'll keep this thread going, since I'm intrested in using 2003 Server for everything, but, it doesn't look like it's a great game OS.

GS

Mercutio

You need to talk to the people who make the game. There's probably a patch or easy fix. There are tons of games that won't run unless you're an administrator (e.g. The Sims), for instance.

As for what's going on with your DVD player, I have no idea. I use PowerDVD 6 on a Server 2003 PC just about every day of the week.

You might try installing the K-lite Mega Codec pack. It's linked in the toolbox forum.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
thanks.
The codec pack gave me a useable DVD player. Maybe better then Power DVD, but I doubt the sound is the same quality.

Still, thanks, that was a quick fix.

Now to contact Call of Duty guys...

gs

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Activision is going to tell you that it's unsupported operating system.

Have you tried running the installer in Windows XP compatability mode?

Mercutio

Santilli, if your PC is connected to a home theater or through a digital output to a fancy set of speakers with a Dolby Digital Processor, you're getting exactly the same sound you'd get from any DVD player. If you don't have either of those things, I wouldn't be terribly worried about sound quality.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio:
No, just a very nice set of headphones I can plug into the front of this machine, with out having to squirrel about with the cat to plug in in the back
of my server box.

"Have you tried running the installer in Windows XP compatability mode?"

Yes, no joy.

I guess I could just buy a copy of XP, but Server is very fast, fun to play with, and amazing.

s