2003 Server

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, finally got around to installing 2003 Server EE.

All I can say is, they finally did something right.
Everything is off by default. EVERYTHING. IE's security setting, for the first time ever, is "high", Graphics acceleration, sound (gotta reboot for that one).
Other big pluses: Recognized both the Promise and HPT controllers on my machine. Boots *way* faster than 2000 Server, even as a Domain Controller. Picked up the Via USB2 controller, too.
Adding a "role"? Dead simple. 2K3 may not have anything on by default, but you can point and drool away to whatever kind of server you want. Heck, even dcpromo amounted to about 3 clicks.

Disappointments? It didn't install a driver for the Realtek ACL650 onboard sound. That hardware has been around for more than long enough that they could at least drop it in the driver cache. Also didn't install a graphics driver for my ATI 9000Pro... BUT it did run that card in 1024x768x16bit with the STANDARD VGA driver. This is a great thing, if that driver is decent, since graphics drivers are still a major cause of weirdo 2000 crashes.
The included DirectX is version 6, which is to be expected in a server OS, but this is Microsoft we're talking about, here. They do include MP9 by default. Hoorah for DRM!
Samba connectivity remains broken. Bastards.
The "everything off by default" OS still let me install unsigned drivers. I might've thought MS would move to requiring signed drivers (or at least changing the default driver signing policy for the "Enterprise Edition" server. They haven't.

The default shell looks and feels like ME or the "classic" skin from XP. The only major visible changes are tiny UI improvements (you can annotate your shutdowns for the event log) and speed improvements. Disk management seems to start faster, for example.
Management tools seem mostly unchanged. Maybe we'll all get lucky and they'll roll some of the speedier UI-stuff into XP.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
I installed the Standard 5-User version of Win2K3 Server on Friday, but have since been too busy doing (non-computer) things to even give Win2K3 much more than a passing lookover that one time. It installed correctly onto my caddy-fied SCSI hard drive and recognised everything plugged into my Supermicro P4SGA mobo except my Matrox RT.X10 video editing card.

As for the possible non-support of some device types, as I was saying in an earlier message about Win2K3 Server, there may very well be hard and fast reasons for *current* non-support of certain devices. In the case of the RealTek soundcard, they may be working on the device driver as we speak, or maybe the "old" Win2K or WinXP device driver will work.

Yes, Win2K3 definitely seemed FASTER at just about everything.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm going to the microsoft server 2003/ visual studio .net event in Boston this coming Tuesday. I'll let you guys know if they have anything good there.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handruin said:
I'm going to the microsoft server 2003/ visual studio .net event in Boston this coming Tuesday. I'll let you guys know if they have anything good there.

Sounds good Handy. I'd like to know how much there is to some of the incompatibility claims.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:

Is there anything keeping disperate windows versions from working within the same active directory? That article is just silly.
Oddly enough, I found that IBM DB2 Universal Database Workgroup Server Edition 8.1, one of the handful of Server 2003 Certified programs already available, worked fine with Server 2003.
Not as odd as the faulty logic.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Buck said:

It is stable? Based on about two weeks of testing with the final release, I would say that it's also the most stable Microsoft operating system I've ever seen. But then again, I'm not asking it to do much besides basic file/print.

If he's only tested it for two weeks under light load, I don't know how he can make the statement that it's the most stable Microsoft OS ever, even with a qualifier (and even though I wouldn't be surprised if it really is the most stable version).

Mercutio

I've been beating on my 2003 server just about as hard as I can for the last two days. I popped in a pair of GigE NICs and added it to my backbone, I've added a couple of USB2 drives to it and I've been bulk-copying data from those to my fileservers, running an InstantCopy transcoding job and a realtime-priority TMPEGenc session with several complex filters. It's staggering under the load but nothing has broken yet. Amazingly enough, I'm still showing almost 50MB of free physical memory out of 512MB. Normally I'd have a seperate machine for each of those jobs but it's holding up better than I would've thought.

Mercutio

... and tonight I came home and found my 2003 Server happily hard-locked, utterly at idle (TMPEGenc having completed the night before), and without any clues to indicate the source of the problem. Nothing in the event log, even.
This same hardware ran 2000 Server stable for weeks at a time.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Buck said:

I wonder why they used the default ext3 file system in Linux, but felt the need to modify the NTFS log file size, block(cluster) size, disable 8.3 name creation and disable last access attribute updating when using win2k3....

They didn't post their samba config, but I wonder if they enabled raw read/writes and read prediction... in addition to enabling the TCP_NODELAY option which is supposed to improve performance dramaticaly... (these options are all enabled by default in the mandrake 9.x package of SAMBA)

zx

You just can't trust test payed for by one of the participants. Of course, performance tests on the same config give the same results, even if it's a microsoft employee that does the testing. However, how do we know that both configs are "fair" (ie that only one has been optimized or that the hardware or test used advantage one of the configs....).

zx

Quote :

"IT WILL COME as no surprise that the tests involved, although performed by an independent lab, were sponsored by Microsoft. But that doesn't change their basic validity. "

No need to say that I totally disagree with this statement.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, im posting this using winPE and the offByOne browser (HTML 3.x)

unfortunately I had to use a 3com 905 NIC... uh.. anybody know a good way to find out which nics are supported by winXP? If I remember, M/S had a site that showed XP compatile hardware (but i forget the URL) if the hardware is lsited on the site does it mean that winXP (or maybe more precisely winPE) will have the drivers built in?

now I just need to get a gecko based browser working....