2005FPW on the Way..need new GPU

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, I should have my new widescreen LCD in about a week. If anyone sees any really good deals on a 256MB 6800GT or higher end X800, please let me know.

Thanks,
C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
These guys have decent prices on the high end ATI and Nvidia cards.

I picked up an OEM Sapphire Radeon X800 XT from them in November.

Occasionally there are sales at Fry's and Compusa on 6800GT's that are fairly good too.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
What is this Frys? Hear of them a lot but there are none in my neck of the woods. Are they a big outfit?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Clocker said:
What is this Frys? Hear of them a lot but there are none in my neck of the woods. Are they a big outfit?

They are huge retail electronics stores with good prices and rotten service. (typically)

Their stores will typically dwarf a Best Buy, and take away their customers to boot.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Damn..that's BiG. Maybe they'll come to MI soon. :twistd:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Re: Fry's

The brick-and-mortar version of Outpost.com, although prices and product availability can differ.

Add the square footage + product selection of the typical Best Buy/Circuit City, CompUSA, Radio Shack (they carry circuit components), and StarBucks (the IL store has a coffee shop in it) together. Quadruple the selection of motherboards & memory that CompUSA offers.

It has 74 or 76 checkout lanes (can't remember which off-hand). Apparently there are times when all are open, although when I'm there it's mostly just 10-20.

So far, the floor people at the Downers Grove store have been friendly and have had OK (but not stellar) product knowledge. I have not had to test their return policy.

One of two gripes is that they don't advertise in the Chicago Tribune so I never know what the current specials are unless I physically visit the store. Apparently the Trib requires ads something like 2 or 3 weeks in advance and Fry's doesn't/can't supply it that far ahead. They do advertise in the Sun-Times but we don't get that paper.

The other gripe is they don't accept American Express so I can't buy the occasional thing for the company there. I wind up going to MicroCenter instead.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You should come to California. All Fry's employees here are morons.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Personally I derive a great deal of satisfaction in tormenting the Fry's sales staff, asking them questions they can't answer - especially while they're helping other customers - and watching them make stuff up.

In a related story, I made a Best Buy employee cry once.

On the other hand, I love seeing all the computer cases and motherboards in one place. I have yet to find something at Fry's I couldn't get cheaper at Newegg, but it's fun to go there and look.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Personally I derive a great deal of satisfaction in tormenting the Fry's sales staff, asking them questions they can't answer - especially while they're helping other customers - and watching them make stuff up.

In a related story, I made a Best Buy employee cry once.

On the other hand, I love seeing all the computer cases and motherboards in one place. I have yet to find something at Fry's I couldn't get cheaper at Newegg, but it's fun to go there and look.

I enjoy looking at Fry's occasionally. NewEgg is always cheaper but it isn't a replacement for impluse buying or if you need something NOW. Unfortunately, At Fry's you always have to be careful about not buying restocked items (Someone elses problem). At least they label the restocked items.

I've never made anyone cry, but I have been asked to leave (permanently) because I kept correcting a salesman's incorrect statements at a Circuit City. While I don't enjoy torchering sales help, I will not tolerate mistatements and I actually enjoy helping customers get what they need or at least geting them to the point of asking themselves the right questions about what they need. So I interfere to the delight of customers and the abhorance of sales help: It makes me feel good.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Last time I was at Microcenter, I was half-listening to a sales person talk to a customer about buying a laptop. I was amazed at how honest of a salesperson he was. He actually asked the person what they would be using it for and made logical recommendations. I haven't seen that in a while at a computer store or the computer department of Best Buy etc. I'm sure there are a lot of scummy and stupid sales people out there but it's good to know there are exceptions in the retail area.

Maybe some don't work on commission or maybe they just are good honest people hoping to get more business by doing good business.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Clocker said:
Last time I was at Microcenter, I was half-listening to a sales person talk to a customer about buying a laptop. I was amazed at how honest of a salesperson he was. He actually asked the person what they would be using it for and made logical recommendations. I haven't seen that in a while at a computer store or the computer department of Best Buy etc. I'm sure there are a lot of scummy and stupid sales people out there but it's good to know there are exceptions in the retail area.

Maybe some don't work on commission or maybe they just are good honest people hoping to get more business by doing good business.
I was in computer shop on Sat morning....overheard some guy blabbing on about RAID and it making your computer twice as fast and so on. I'm not sure if he actually worked there, but he had a bunch of people crowded around. You should have heard all the disinformation he was spewing. Anyways, buyer beware.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd end up with a sprained neck - it'd be like watching tennis, like being in the first row in a cinema theater! Next they'll come up with a 48" monitor, bundled with a motorized chair that'll go back and forth so you can see/read the appropriate section of the damn thing.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah...I would not want to spend that much and teh native res. would probably be to high for games etc. This 20incher is just what the Dr. ordered for me. :)