3D Glasses

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I'm interested in buying a pair of 3D glasses. 8)
Anyone having experience with them? Which is the standard producer of 3D glasses? Sites that sell/document 3D glasses?

I've found these so far (read some stuff about them by another forum):
http://www.edimensional.com/products.html

PS. Please don't tell me to buy a graphics card with 3D glasses bundled, I already have a g-card and don't intend to upgrade anytime soon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The SGIs I worked with in college, many years ago, had limited support for stereoscopic glasses. Some neat animations were made, but the glasses were clunky and hard on your eyes.

Maybe things are better nowadays, though.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Prof.Wizard said:
I'm interested in buying a pair of 3D glasses. 8)
Anyone having experience with them? Which is the standard producer of 3D glasses? Sites that sell/document 3D glasses?

I've found these so far (read some stuff about them by another forum):
http://www.edimensional.com/products.html

Constantine,
I have a pair of the eDimensional Wired E-D Glasses. For me, they were a mistake to buy. The driver can be a PITA to configure, and I found them less than comfortable for gaming. In all, I ended up barely using them.

Next time you visit Seattle stop by and I'll trade them to you for half-rack of ale or something.

--Steve

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Groltz said:
Prof.Wizard said:
...Constantine...PITA...
:) You pay attention to the details (my real name and where I'm from) and that's something I really appreciate... :)

Are you sure you've configured them right? I've read (quickly) a review at Guru3D and some thread posts and most people found the drivers/set-up part the most difficult. But after this initial burden everything fine.

I've also read that much depends upon the monitor. Do you have a good one?! (high resolutions and high frequencies a must!)

PS. Restrain from posting alcohol-related words or else Bartender will turn this "his" thread... :p

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Prof.Wizard said:
PS. Restrain from posting alcohol-related words or else Bartender will turn this "his" thread... :p

What can say, it's my job. What use does a bartender have for 3-D glasses anyway? (Unless of course they were funky beer glasses that I could charge for.)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I want X-ray glasses. They used to advertise them on the back of comic books when I was a kid. I should have bought a pair. :-?

Groltz

Prof.Wizard said:
:) You pay attention to the details (my real name and where I'm from) and that's something I really appreciate... :)

Are you sure you've configured them right? I've read (quickly) a review at Guru3D and some thread posts and most people found the drivers/set-up part the most difficult. But after this initial burden everything fine.

I've also read that much depends upon the monitor. Do you have a good one?! (high resolutions and high frequencies a must!)

I used to work with a guy from Greece whose name was Constantine. He used to just go by the nickname "Costa".

Like I mentioned, the driver setup is somewhat confusing but not impossible. I was able to get it set up and running successfully. It was mostly the imaging experience that I didn't like. These glasses are definitely a "try before you buy" item. :roll: The monitor I have was a good one back when it was made...In 1998. It still does ok, however. It is a Viewsonic P815.

I'm not worried about the Bartender. He turned his nose up at the last schooner of Widmer that I ordered, and spouted insults to boot.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Bartender said:
Unless of course they were funky beer glasses that I could charge for.

DB has some beer goggles he has been wearing for as many months as the pub has been open. Check with him for a manufacturer. I'll bet you could sell themfor a good profit.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Groltz said:
I'm not worried about the Bartender. He turned his nose up at the last schooner of Widmer that I ordered, and spouted insults to boot.

I think it was more of a mumble than a spout, an insult nonetheless. Alas, it just broke my heart to see a man with such worldly wisdom, orders an American Weizen Bier with such confidence and self-belief, viewing that his was the most honorable choice. But I must concede, it was a much better choice then some Rocky Mountain banquet beer.

Now, as for Constantine - when did I ever hijack a thread?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Bartender said:
Now, as for Constantine - when did I ever hijack a thread?
:p There have been some... most alcohol-related... :wink: (too bored to search, you know when you've posted them)
----------

Groltz, if I've understood correctly, the whole 3D viewing experience is a VERY subjective one. I've seen people posting threads describing as divine the feeling of 3D projection and depth. Others feel vertigoes and dizziness after just 10-15 minutes of using them.

I've noticed two things: you need a good graphics card and a good monitor cause it HAS to be more than 85Hz of refresh frequency (if not eyes ache) and more than 800*600 resolution (for graphics to be of good analysis) to experience it right...

Groltz

Prof.Wizard said:
Groltz, if I've understood correctly, the whole 3D viewing experience is a VERY subjective one. I've seen people posting threads describing as divine the feeling of 3D projection and depth. Others feel vertigoes and dizziness after just 10-15 minutes of using them.

I've noticed two things: you need a good graphics card and a good monitor cause it HAS to be more than 85Hz of refresh frequency (if not eyes ache) and more than 800*600 resolution (for graphics to be of good analysis) to experience it right...

Extremely subjective. Of that I am aware. To me, gaming through the glasses just was not as good as watching the monitor in normal style. Yes, the 3D effect was pronounced and quite effective...But GROLTZ NO LIKE. (Heh) Why, I am not entirely sure but I think it has to do with being used to looking at a screen without any encumbrances. I was playing console video games at home on a TV before the Atari 2600 came out in 1977 and was a complete addict to the stand-up's in the early-to mid 80's. I guess directly facing the screen is what I'm most comfortable with.

Yes, I paid close attention to the set-up recommendations for the glasses. I used them with a GeForce 3 Ti200, 120Mhz fresh rate, at 1025 X 768 resolution. It's not the glasses' fault...I just can't get comfy with them.

--Steve

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Groltz said:
Groltz said:
...120Mhz fresh rate...

I'm shocked that none of the local sarcastic wits have blasted me for that booger....

Make it: refresh rate

What a lonely feeling that must be.

As far as 3-D glasses go, I have zero experience. But I am interested in knowing how much they improve a game. Your comments are appreciated.