48V DC LED wiring for a new build; XM-Ls, etc.

Stereodude

Not really a
Got it built, but having an issue. All the LEDs all turn on for just an instant when I plug it in or unplug it, but the rest of the time are off. Need to start testing stuff. Any suggestions?
Does your controller / driver support dimming?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Got it built, but having an issue. All the LEDs all turn on for just an instant when I plug it in or unplug it, but the rest of the time are off. Need to start testing stuff. Any suggestions?
I'm going to guess that the dimming input on the 2100 mA driver needs to have a voltage applied. The driver has 0 to 10 V dimming, and the dimming input may default to 0 volts when open.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Ok, I'm going to order some LEDs in the next couple of weeks to emulate a single solution for our new build. It'll be a series of 8 single LEDs. I'll send a drawing and the LED choice(s); how will I go about providing payment and shipping information to order a constant-current driver? And will you be able to make a transformer recommendation, too?
I'll send you a PM when you're ready to order the drivers so we can exchange info. I should also be able to recommend a transformer, although the one Dave ordered looks pretty good. For 8 LEDs you'll probably need to go higher than 24V if they're in series (or you could just do 2 parallel strings of 4).

ddrueding

Fixture
Found the issue. The power supply I'm using isn't. It is just a transformer outputting 12v AC. That won't work. More coming, hopefully tonight.

tagger

What is this storage?
I should also be able to recommend a transformer, although the one Dave ordered looks pretty good.

Do you mean the 60W Dimmable Power Supply / Driver combo he's using? I'm not sure how that applies, since it's apparently an all-purpose driver, is constant-voltage rather than constant current, and, according to his recent post, is apparently not even a power-supply at all, somehow? (false advertisement?) Or did I miss another transformer / power-supply recommendation he made?

For 8 LEDs you'll probably need to go higher than 24V if they're in series (or you could just do 2 parallel strings of 4).
I could do that; put the control in the middle and run the two strings in either direction, rather than starting at one end. When I was looking at some circuits more closely a few weeks ago, I remember thinking that going parallel added some complexity to the driver circuit, but perhaps I'm wrong, and even if right, perhaps it doesn't matter since I'm not going to try to build my own driver. My objectives are efficiency, simplicity, reasonable color, and appropriate brightness. If a parallel arrangement doesn't compromise efficiency or simplicity, then I'll do it. Otherwise I might have another idea to keep things serial.

tagger

What is this storage?
Found the issue. The power supply I'm using isn't. It is just a transformer outputting 12v AC. That won't work. More coming, hopefully tonight.
Very interested in knowing the outcome here....

ddrueding

Fixture
Do you mean the 60W Dimmable Power Supply / Driver combo he's using? I'm not sure how that applies, since it's apparently an all-purpose driver, is constant-voltage rather than constant current, and, according to his recent post, is apparently not even a power-supply at all, somehow? (false advertisement?) Or did I miss another transformer / power-supply recommendation he made?

Nope, that is the one. And before we mark it as a failure, you should know that I'm not very clever on this kind of thing. Every test looks like it should work, so it might be a great product and I'm just missing something.

Very interested in knowing the outcome here....

I just haven't had the time to spend on it lately. Perhaps I'll have a chance later this weekend.

tagger

What is this storage?
AC alternatives

Ok, now I've been investigating home-brewed LED solutions whose power source is ultimately 120V house line for awhile, on and off. The “typical” approach, and the only one I considered when I started this thread, is to use a driver circuit to generate constant-current power. I understand that LEDs' life-expectancy requires that the power-source be constant-current. But you can find A/C ckts like this: http://electroschematics.com/3623/ac-powered-white-led-lamp/ - which generally involve a rectifier. So, the question is: do A/C line-powered circuits like these severely reduce the life-expectancy of the LEDs? If not, it is certainly an attractive alternative to the very expensive off-the-shelf options, and understandably so, for simplicity. I'm not positive, but, considering all that is necessary from line-power to LED, whether you go with an approach like that or a more conventional AC-DC driver approach, it might be less expensive to consider the line-power AC approach. But then one would guess that line-power off-the-shelf options would exist; perhaps it’s hard to UL-list such?