5.1 vs 4.1 speakers

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In a small environment, such as a TV or computer, how important do people believe the extra center speaker to be?

It makes sense to me in a cinema, but I wonder if it's a bit redundant in home situations?

I'm also assuming that the separate bass channel is not going to be of any real significance, given that it's not directional anyway.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The center is IMO more important than the left and right surround. I like the increased directional separation and and having the full pan from left to right.
You can listen four yourself to the difference with most 5.1-capable receivers if you really want to.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe if you have a pair of front stereo speakers with excellent imaging, and sit exactly in the same position, right in the center of them, then a center speaker could be done away with. Es[ecially if you are a foot away from the computer screen/speakers. But if you are slightly off-axis, as you would be watching TV with friends, then a center speaker is going to give you much better panning as Merc said. Also you get a lot more dynamic sound with a center channel. Most of the audio in a multi-channel soundtrack comes thru the center. Spend most of your speaker budget on it. I dream of a nice electrostatic for neutrality :)

The .1 can be very useful, but only if you have a real subwoofer. Most of the shit that passes as computer subwoofers would have a hard time making any sounds below 80Hz, let alone 15-40Hz. 120Hz is not sub-bass IMHO.