5000 Posts

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Bartender said:
...Indeed. However, thingz have been duly restocked, and I will attempt to write with fewer spelling and grammatical errorz. What’s your drink of choice Mr. K?

I'll start off with a Fosters. :mrgrn: Only Joking! (I would not even drink Fosters even when I am in a desert with no liquids around)

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
I've been absent for the past week... Congrats Merc, albeit it's a tad late.

I didn't know that there were so many alter egos here. Maybe I should create one when I get me some more posts. 8)

Cheers,

Jan

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Actually, it's funny you should mention Fosters and being stuck in a desert, Edward. A year or two ago, a German tourist flew into Perth, hired a 4WD, and set off to negotiate the Canning Stock Route.

Now the Canning Stock Route runs more-or-less north through the Western Australian deserts - and WA has deserts that are as arid as any in the country and a hell of a lot bigger than some. WA is about a third the size of the entire USA. No-one lives there. The track is rough, not maintained in any way that's worth talking about, and incredibly remote. Long-time experienced 4WD people regard the Canning as the ultimate test of vehicle and driver. Something you do only after you have become a real expert.

So our German friend sets off into the wild blue yonder, equipped with a hired 4WD, some food, and a couple of cases of beer. (Was it Fosters? I don't know. It may well have been.) A few days later he breaks down (or gets stuck, I forget the details), and - incredibly - this moron only has a litre or two of water, which lasts him until about lunchtime. (You need to drink 6 to 8 litres a day in that climate if you want to maintain your fluid balance and stay healthy. Daytime temps can reach 50 degrees in summer. More typical days are around 40-45. (For you measurement-retarded types in the USA, start at 100F and keep going till you get over 120. We are talking hot.) Naturally, there is no surface water at all. No mobile phones. Nuffin but sand dunes, rocks, and spinifex.)

He can't do anythiing but stay with his vehicle (he at least had the sense to do that - if he'd tried to walk out he'd have been dead inside 48 hours) and wait, hoping meanwhile that someone would happen to come along and rescue him while he was still alive.

It was nearly a week before the next party came through, but he was alive. Very sick and sorry, had to recover in hospital, but still alive. He'd spent about 5 days in the desert with nothing to drink except Fosters. (Or possibly VB, or Swan - I don't know the brand.)

I can't believe that the hire company let this moron have the 4WD. I blame them almost as much as I blame him. He was very lucky.