5400 RPM

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There do not seem to be any 5400 rpm drives being introduced. After the Maxiline III replaces the II, would it be reasonable to assume that it is the end of 5400?

LunarMist

:lol: The U series drives or whatever 2-platter POS Seagate makes now don't really count. ;)

LunarMist

You're quite right. :oops: I'm too tired to think cleary. 4-5 hours of sleep a night for more than two consecutive weeks is killing me.

Back to the point that should have been made initially. Seagate has announced the 7200.8, but no new 5400 rpm 3.5" drives and Maxtor has announced the Maxline III (aka DM+10), but no new 5400 rpm drives. Once the 300GB Maxline III ships in volume, it is probable that the large Maxtor 5400 rpm drives will fade away. I cannot decide whether to buy some of the 300GB Maxline II drives now or not. I'd prefer 400GB, but not if the only future choices are the hotter and probably louder 7200 rpm drives.

LunarMist

I always forget about Samsung. Do they even sell hard drives in the US? I have not seen any.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
newegg carries a few, but likes to stay away from 5400rpm units. Locally I bet I could buy some 5400 rpm units from various manufacturers.. although probably older models.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
MicroCenter also stocks Samsungs but again I generally don't see their 5400RPM units in the store.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Yup, my disti has 80GB and 20GB 5,400-rpm Samsung units in stock. Oh, and they also have same speed WD units in stock.

Onomatopoeic

Learning Storage Performance
LunarMist said:
:lol: The U series drives or whatever 2-platter POS Seagate makes now don't really count. ;)

There's a Seagate "consumer electronics" (CE) 5400 RPM drive -- which is nothing more than a stinky U Series thingee in fancy clothing (er... firmware that supports the streaming media protocols over the ATA bus).

http://www.seagate.com/products/discfamily/ce/index.html

The Barracuda 5400.1 is actually a great drive for certain applications. If you need seriously quiet operation, the Barracuda 5400.1 is in a class of its own.

I own one that I use in my Alesis HD-24 multi-track audio recorder. In any normal installation, you can not hear it run, nor can you hear it spin up. This is not an exaggeration! Actually, if you really want to hear it spin up, you literally have to have the bare drive out in front of you with your ears near it when you apply power. After that, you still can't hear it run! The fluid dynamic bearings really make the difference and the AAM mode firmware does the rest about seek noise -- which I have never heard. Nonetheless, file I/O performance in a computer setup is still "decent."

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,574,00.html