68 MBPS IS FAST, WITH BURSTS TO 98, AND, THAT'S JUST SO FAR

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
AMAZING! Yes, it really does make a noticeable difference.

Astound has a special: 2 years, 50mbps, for 39.95.
Normal cost, 125.00 a month on special.

Just got it to work, and, here's the results:
ASTOUND50MBPScopy.jpg

It makes a noticeable difference from 20 mbps, and, it's 10 dollars cheaper.

They offer 3 free months on a wireless router, then 5 a month thereafter.
Solves that problem as well.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
When you look at what's available for routers, and I need a fairly good one, it makes sense. My wrt54gl I'm pretty sure is dead, and, I don't see much point in sinking a lot of money into something that at the end of it's life is going to be a throw away. 45 dollars for the first year is pretty much free, plus, they support it.

I do wonder what they are going to bring out...

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It has to be at least an N Router. If it's junk, I'll let them know...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
We'll see how it goes today. Hooked up the WRT54G, and have it working. It's giving me 17 mbps on the laptop, using a N pci card.

Astound has always been real good about this kind of stuff, like they gave me the WRT54gl I currently have, along with a 4 port Linksys.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What's the distance and what's the wall made of?

Also, I assume you have the router reasonably high up, and that you're more or less facing toward it with the laptop?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Plaster, maybe 35-40 feet. Took a 50 foot cat 5 to get over there last time.

Which router? The one Astound had is one of those flat types, with no antennas.

I kind of need an industrial strength signal...

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Went 101 mbps on burst....
And here I am happy finally getting ADSL2+, after being stuck with 1.5Mbps ADSL for the last 2yrs. :crap:

PS. Due to my distance from the exchange (roughly 2.8km or 1.7mi), I can only get 9Mbps down with 950kbps up. But this is obviously far better than the 1.5Mbps/384kbps connection I had...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, that's a fair distance with an obstacle, so I can't be certain, but ...

I tried it here with both G and N routers in different locations, and didn't drop below 50Mb/s unless I got a lot more than a plaster wall perpendicular to the transmission. Things collapsed to 26Mb/s when I managed to get most of a long wall lengthwise between me and the WAP.

Both routers had external antennas and I couldn't maintain 35 feet with the G router. I'm cautious because N in particular seems to fall off a cliff once you reach a certain distance, but you get the idea.

Have you been able to try something other than the 802.11N PCI card?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Great, now you can feel sorry for me instead:

Up: 812 kb/s
Down: 7228 kb/s
SNR: 14 dB
Attenuation: 45 dB
Here are my stats:
Code:
Uptime:	                         1 day, 0:40:46
DSL Type:	                 G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 917 / 9,846
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 1.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 45.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:        6.5 / 5.5
And this is with the Telstra supplied 4port Wifi router (Thompson TG782T).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
And this is with the Telstra supplied 4port Wifi router (Thompson TG782T).
Just another note, Telstra have pretty much disable most features through the web-interface (including even changing the DHCP address range available - you can either turn on or off DHCP - you get no other configuration), but if you man-up and use the telnet interface the entire router can be programmed, including re-enabling most of the functionality that this can offer including printer sharing and basic NAS functions!

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Great, now you can feel sorry for me instead:
:frowner: That sucks, and based on the attenuation figure you gave, you're about the same distance from the exchange as I am. Have you done an isolation test and may be replaced the ADSL filters? (Might give you some more speed since your SNR is better than mine).

Mind you can't be that bad, one of the new estates a bit up the road is all connected to the same exchange I'm on, and their distance (as the line is laid) starts at 4km. (roughly equal to 4Mbps MAX). And the developers won't pay for a RIM to be installed either!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Time:
The wall is pretty much at right angles to the signal. There is a huge mirror on that wall,
directly in the way of the signal. That I can move, and try again. I was also thinking about getting a N card with an antenna that you can move around.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you plant the good habits here, they will sprout and grow into more readable language habits with each and every paper you write.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Time: I just tried the laptop right next to the wall. Speed is about fourteen mbps.
When I go all the way to the other side of the room, and use the desktop HTPC the speed is between twelve and fourteen mbps. Right next to the WRT54 it's sixteen mbps.
Uploads are five to six mbps.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
So both the laptop and the HTPC are showing really low results, even next to the WAP?

Perhaps you have interference problems?

I mean, what are the odds of two sucky Linksys modems ... :p

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I decided to check the settings in the wireless router. I changed to channel 1, to avoid possible interference, and took the default setting to 54 mbps for wireless broadcasting.

That has increased download speed to 22-24 mbps, a considerable increase.

So far so good.