A Linksys router piggybacked to an ActionTec router, doesn't connect to the internet

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
Hello wireless router aficionados,

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my Linksys E2000 wireless router that is piggybacked to the Verizon supplied ActionTec router, gain access to the internet. I want to take advantage of the enhanced performance of the Linksys router. The ActionTec has a 130 Mb/s max. rate and uses the 2.4 GHz band. The Linksys has a 300 Mb/s max. rate and uses both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands. I connected the two units with an ethernet cable, going from a LAN port on the ActionTec to the Internet port on the Linksys. Otherwise, the configuration process went smoothly, as it has done countless times before.

When I called Verizon FiOS tech. support, I was immediately directed to Cisco's tech. support. The rep. there "sweet talked me" for ten minutes, before informing me that a $30 fee was required since I've been out of warranty for a year. I don't pay for tech. support, so I'm requesting tech. support here! Before the Cisco rep. ended our call, he stated that changes have to me made to the local IP address and a PPPoE setting. I'm familiar with the Cisco router configuration website, but have always used only one router to connect to the internet. The single router setup has been used by my Toshiba Satellite and Lenovo Thinkpad laptops. My desktop pc has a direct ethernet link between the ActionTec and it's ethernet card. If anybody has a Linksys wireless router, here is the website to configure it..... http://192.168.1.1

I plan on using the Linksys's 5.0 GHz band, which will make me the second person in my building using this band. There are over 100 2.4 GHz access points, according to the InSSIDer wireless access point detection program.

Would somebody let me know what advantages using my Linksys router will afford me, when used in conjunction with the ActionTec?

ddrueding

Fixture
So you only want the Linksys for the better wireless? You want to configure it as an Access Point. Not sure if the stock software allows that (I did a quick Google and it was vague). Otherwise look at one of the aftermarket ROMs.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Hello wireless router aficionados,

If anybody has a Linksys wireless router, here is the website to configure it..... http://192.168.1.1

I plan on using the Linksys's 5.0 GHz band, which will make me the second person in my building using this band. There are over 100 2.4 GHz access points, according to the InSSIDer wireless access point detection program.

Would somebody let me know what advantages using my Linksys router will afford me, when used in conjunction with the ActionTec?

That link accesses my modem, but I know what you meant to say. ;) You might want to change the IP on the Linksys if there is any conflict.

apairofpcs

So you only want the Linksys for the better wireless? You want to configure it as an Access Point. Not sure if the stock software allows that (I did a quick Google and it was vague). Otherwise look at one of the aftermarket ROMs.
Yes Sir. Yes, an access point to do the work of the ActionTec router.

Ever since my first software install when I bought my Toshiba laptop and the router a few days later, I haven't used the Cisco CD that came with the router. It hasn't been necessary, since the router has an elaborate configuration website. The software doesn't have any capabilities to do what is necessary anyway. In fact, the installed software offers a link that directs the user to their website for "serious" changes other than changes to the user name and the security passphrase.

apairofpcs

That link accesses my modem, but I know what you meant to say. ;) You might want to change the IP on the Linksys if there is any conflict.
I'm more than happy to share the website of MY router with YOU. The site is big enough for the both of us!

It makes sense that each router has a different local IP address.
I don't know where on the site this can be done.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You're not allowed to route the same address pool on both the source and destination ports of a router, which is probably what's going on with your setup. You can probably get away with assigning the Linksys to have a static address like 192.168.1.250 and turn of its built-in DHCP server. Connect the Linksys to the ActionTec via one of the four LAN ports rather than the WAN port.

No, the lameass Cisco software won't let you use it directly as an AP, but what I'm talking about functionally makes it one.

Also you might want to shut off 802.11 on the Actiontec, since extra 2.4GHz signals are just going to cause more grief for everyone.

ddrueding

Fixture
What Mercutio proposes will work, but you won't be able to use any of the ports on the Actiontec router for anything else. Any device connected to it will not be visible to devices plugged into the linksys.

apairofpcs

In my opening post, I asked the following question "Would somebody let me know what advantages using my Linksys router will afford me, when used in conjunction with the ActionTec?" Nobody has answered. I'm going to add, what attributes of my wireless router experience will I lose by my action?

I've spent too much time on this project, with more confusion than clarity about how to make it happen. I've looked at all the advice given to me here and tried every suggestion that I can impliment on the Cisco and Verizon router pages. But I still don't have internet access.

There must be somebody on this forum who can help me, so that I won't have to pay Cisco $30 for a very few minutes of tech support that will walk me through the necessary changes! Remember that I am a pc hobbyist with good hobbyist experience, but I have not worked on pcs for a living as have many of you. I'm alluding to my need to have you direct me more thoroughly.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well first, don't pay Cisco because I'd bet their script reading drone won't be able to solve your problem.

Stereodude

Not really a
Second, see this thread and this blog post.

Ultimately you can't really run two routers as once, so you're not really using them together. Also, I'm not sure that the Linksys with the factory firmware will offer you much in terms of advantages over the ActionTec aside from access to the 5.0gHz space. However, you can load customized firmware onto the E2000 and make it more useful (if you're so inclined).

ddrueding

Fixture
Seconding the seconding. Don't use more than one router at once, it is a bad idea. 5GHz would be nice, and if you want to do it you should convert your E2000 to an access point (or get something that can be an access point out of the box).

Go here. Type in "E2000" and choose the version you have. Follow the directions there. That will give your E2000 a much better OS that will do all the things you want and more.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It amazes me the sheer number of times that I have the "Oh, you need an access point" conversation takes place.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Using multiple routers is generally easy, once you get your mind around a couple of basic gotchas.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a network expert, I just know how to make stuff work.

First, the two routers MUST have different IP addresses.

Second, remember that they each have TWO IP addresses, the upstream one (facing the Internet) and the downstream one (facing your network).

For example, assume that your ActionTec router's address is 192.168.1.1. That's the downstream address; the upstream address is provided by your ISP and we don't usually care what it is. As a rule, out of the box the router will be set to function as a DHCP server, and will assign address in the range (say) 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.200 to computers in your network. The particular addresses don't matter, but (in general) they should be in the same sub-net as the router itself. (I.e., in this example they need to start with 192.168.1.xxx) It is usually a good idea to reserve a little space for static IPs too - over .200 for example. You never know when you will want to use one for some reason.) You can change the base address of the router, for example set it to 192.168.222.1. That's fine. It will still get its upstream IP from your ISP and you still don't need to know what that is and in most cases it will automatically adjust its DHCP range to something suitable, such as 192.168.222.2 to 192.168.222.200 - but you need to check this, and adjust it yourself if necessary. Again, keep the DHCP range in the same subnet - same first three numbers as the router address.)

All of this is basic stuff you know already. Now we go to two routers.

First, switch off the #1 router, just work on the new one (#2) for now. You don't need an Internet connection yet, just plug it into your computer with a network cable. First, you need to consider the UPSTREAM IP address. You can either leave this to auto (i.e., set by the upstream device, that's your ISP's system in a stand-alone install or the first router in this two router system we are making), or else set it manually. Generally, you are OK just to leave it on auto.

If you set it yourself as a static IP, then you must set it somewhere within the subnet range of the first router (which is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 in this example), so that we can communicate and outside the DHCP range (192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200) so that we don't get address clashes. In other words, it needs to be somewhere inside that vacant range we carefully left earlier (192.168.1.201 to 192.168.1.254), for example, 192.168.1.210. It's generally easier just to leave it on DHCP (auto) though.

Now we need to set the downstream IP address. This MUST NOT overlap the address ranges we used earlier. In our example, where the #1 router is using 192.168.1.xxx on its downstream side and handing out DHCP addresses in that range, we could use 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.132.1 or 10.10.10.1, or anything you like that is non-routable. Let's say we use 172.20.20.1. Now we need to set our DHCP range to something suitable, such as 172.20.20.2 to 172.20.20.200.

That's it. You are done.

Plug everything in (including the first router) and enjoy.

If you are lucky enough to be using a stand-alone modem instead of a modem-router as your first device (i.e., you have modem plus router plus router, instead of modem/router plus router) you can test your setup of router #2 by simply plugging it directly into the modem with router #1 switched off. But if you have to buggerise about setting up ADSL passwords and stuff, that's too much like work for my tastes.

Be aware that routers are sulky, recalcitrant things at the best of times, and they are prone to having unexplained irrational likes and dislikes. Sometimes you will find that two different routers simply will not get on together properly and give endless trouble for no reason known to man or beast, but you can swap them around and they work perfectly. (Not so long ago I took a sulky work router home 'cause it wouldn't talk to the other routers in the building. Works perfectly here. The cheap Chinese one I replaced it with works perfectly at the office. Go figure.)

Also, remember that (broadly speaking) you don't have communication between devices attached to the two different routers. you have TWO networks and both can access the Internet but the router #1 network can't see the router #2 network 'cause it is behind the second router which blocks stuff as part of its job. There are various exceptions to this and all sorts of subtle and complicated setups are possible, but you need a proper network expert for them, and all I can really say about them with confidence is that they give me a headache.

PS: wouldn't it be easier just to use the faster router in the first place?

PPS: I use multiple routers (generally three of them) because I need to isolate the different parts of the network so that a customer machine with a virus can't infect all the other machines in the building. And also (believe it or not!) sometimes 'cause my boss Tannin is so tight that he won't spend $20 to buy a five-port switch when he has a spare 5 port router lying around unused. Some people. Shrug.