Abit KT7-RAID Socket A Motherboard

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Here's a review:
http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/motherboards/abit/kt7-raid/index.shtml

Works great. It is folding with a Duron 600@950 24/7 right now.

PA120018.JPG

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll throw in a nice heatsink with high performance (Delta) fan as well if you want it.

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Possibly sold to Fushigi. Awaiting response.

C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
from the picture it looks like the KT7 might suffer from the same problems as my Abit KA7 did(the two were manufactured at the same time probably using the same components).

the leaky capacitor problem that is...

I would check the top and bottoms of those capacitors for black "char"

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The above is not a picture of the acutal board I have. I is a picture from the board that was reviewed.

I'm amazed you think you can see anything of detail in that picture, anyway.

If you're not interested in buying my stuff, please don't post in my for sale threads.

C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i know I've been a downer, I'm just trying to make sure that people know what they are buying. I apologize if I've given off the wrong impression to you, as I undoubtedly have.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If it makes you feel any better, blakerwry, I have a couple of boards (one Abit KT7A and one FIC AZ11E) that had leaky caps as well. A large percentage of Abit boards were affected by that particular problem because, while a great many OEMs (Asus, Tyan, Abit... the list is very, very long) used the substandard water-based caps, Abit put some of those caps particularly close to the CPU socket on their KT7x boards.

Chips with inadequate cooling were more likely to cause the water in those caps to sublimate, and that's how the caps end up leaking (or blowing off completely). Abit's chosen location for their caps led to Abit being a primary suspect for this problem.

However, there's no way of knowing, without direct examination of the caps in question, whether they are in fact substandard. Abit will replace the caps on any particular board for a mere $25 + shipping, however, or you can buy a kit and do it yourself for around $15 (er, jtr probably could. I certainly wouldn't want to try it).

I'm not trying to foul C's sale. The fact that he rode the board hard with an overclocked chip for as long as he did (two years, at this point), suggests it's probably not faulty. But hey, caveat emptor.

Incidently, from what I've read on slashdot, the water-based caps are being used as a cost-cutting measure in East Asia, and they are still in the channel over there for use in system boards, so it's possible that even the newest boards will be found to have this problem.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I had the same problem with my father's Slot A motherboard (KA7). Here's the thread: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961&highlight=ka7

Homie does repairs: http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/index.html

I have no issue with blake mentioning the historical issue with these boards. But, to imply that it looks like the one in question is a *bad one* from a picture that 1.) isn't even a picture of the actual board and 2.) so small that you can't tell if the caps are bad is just complete BS

I will inspect the board prior to shipment (if Fushigi still wants it).

I am not the original owner of the board, btw. I bought it cheap off ebay to use as a 'Folder' about 4-5 months ago. It has been folding ever since.

C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I didn't mean to say that your specific board was bad... I'm apolgize if I gave off that impression.

I mean to say that that series was bad, and that from the picture it has the same type of caps that the ka7 had. I did some searching, and yes both the KA7 and KT7 were known to be affected by the bad cap problem.

Abit's boards particularly becase it has 32(more than any of its competition) capacitors that are known to have problems.

I ran my baord for over 2 years in an over clocked 24/7 situation before my board died. So I think it's wth Clocker checking his board. That is why I gave a link to a picture of what to check for.

I'm sorry that I gave you the wrong impression yet again Clocker. I will stay out of your sales from now on.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The mobo, CPU, and heatsink/fan arrived quickly & everything works fine. I printed the current manual from the Abit site.

True to his word, out of the box the Duron 600 was running fine at 950MHz. Being the cautious type, I backed it down to 800MHz for installing OS + apps and will likely drop it to the stock 600MHz before giving it to my inlaws. Even stock it's a huge step up from the K6/233 + EDO RAM + 5400RPM HD they use now.

- Fushigi