Acronis True Image Home 2011 64 bit

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

I recently was given a copy ATIH, and, installed it on two machines, the Beast, 64 bit, and my server, 32 bit.

I started having random freezes with the Beast, something I've never had before.

I decided it was likely the Acronis backup running, that updates in real time your system to another drive.

I used system restore to go back to before the install, and, my system has been working fine since. This does NOT solve my need for a backup solution.

My first thought is to install it, and run regular images, rather then their real time
image updater.

My 32 bit system has worked fine with the software installed, no freezes at all.

However, I did install Acronis Drive monitor, and, after reading another thread, I'm using system restore to hopefully go back far enough so that both software is gone.

Still doesn't solve the backup problem.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I decided it was likely the Acronis backup running, that updates in real time your system to another drive.

You don't have to enable the constant backup. There is something buggy with TI 2011 compared to 2010.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Is there a utility like Acronis Drive Monitor that is smaller and cleaner?

I'm finding it's useful in this weather to know that my actively cooled drives are actually too hot in my server.

120 vs 107 max.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Sure, just use HDDScan, SpeedFan or any other tool that can issue SMART self-test commands. "

Any of the above give drive temps?

LunarMist

Yes, I think they all do if the host supports it. Many RAID or other add-in controller cards don't show all or any of the info.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
What Lunar said.

For future reference, I've replicated what I said in the P & B thread:

Both those utilities can be configured to display drive temperature in the tray.

According to TaskManager, HDDScan shrinks to only about 2MB (under 32-bit Windows) when it's minimized to the tray. It can display temperatures for multiple drives at once: just start a temperature monitoring task on each drive and minimize the program.

LunarMist

Is anyone using TI 2012 yet and are there any differences of note?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
What's the big advantage versus Windows' (7) built in backup software, other than real-time protection?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Windows built is essentially full backups of the whole system only. It doesn't offer any flexibility for backing up files of specific types, specific directories only, differential or incremental backups, scheduled verifications, email-on-error etc.

The built in backup in Windows isn't horrible in some scenarios but I'd rather have a full featured product.

LunarMist

A utility should run completely independently of the installation in case of a total borked or infected drive. Can Windows 7 now create an backup that can be directly restored from a thumb drive for example?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As long as you can bring up the Windows Recovery environment you can in fact restore a backup from it.

Handruin

Administrator
Windows built is essentially full backups of the whole system only. It doesn't offer any flexibility for backing up files of specific types, specific directories only, differential or incremental backups, scheduled verifications, email-on-error etc.

The built in backup in Windows isn't horrible in some scenarios but I'd rather have a full featured product.

I'm 100% positive I've used the windows 7 backup with select directory structures and not the entire drive or drives. There is an option if you want to do a system-level backup of the boot drive (c:\) for a complete restore, but it's an option, not a requirement. The backups are done in a scheduled fashion, but only the action center will alert me if a backup has failed. It does lack the option to do incremental backups and verifications, but it will get the job done if you want to backup on a basic schedule.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm using the Windows 7 backup nightly at 3 am to an internal HD (my regular data and a system drive image), periodic sync toy backups to an external drive and to a networked drive of really important stuff, Crashplan to an external drive, and Crashplan to the cloud. I think I'm covered. I'd like to simplify further, but my system isn't hard to maintain and I'm not sure what I would drop first.