Address book solution with external backup?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi

I just lost my system, thanks to my own novice experience with Megaraid, and drive replacement, not to mention how to turn off the drive alarm.
That said, it's made me rethink my solutions. Prior, and current, I've got about 3 Palm Pilot III's, and one VII, and, have in the past, used Palm Pilot 4.1. Problem is, everytime my computer goes down, I've either failed to back it up to the Palms, which we don't use for anything else but backup, since they are large, and, generally not needed, or primitive, and don't provide enough features to carry around.

My current solution had been to backup my phone logs to my phone, Samsung 707A, with software provided that links to Outlook. However, it doesn't seem to work real well for moving file from the phone to the desktop.
Using Handset version 9.2.
Currently, I've got most of my work phone numbers on the phone, but, it transfers the data to the computer as a .pbf file, and, I can't figure out how to open that with Outlook.

I'm looking for an easy way to back up files for an address book, probably from Outlook, best on to a flash drive, and, the place Outlook puts it's address files, and, what kind of file it saves the information as.

Thanks for reading through this, and the consideration.

Sincerely

GS

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
How about a simple XCopy .bat file to copy your address book to where ever you want. Then have it run from Scheduled Task?

Bozo :joker:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Outlook 2007 help said:
Personal Address Book (.pab)
Windows Vista drive:\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Personal Address Books (.pab) are no longer supported by Office Outlook 2007. When you upgrade to Office Outlook 2007, you are prompted to import any .pab file into Contacts. If you choose not to import the .pab file, you can import it later by using the Import and Export command on the File menu.
I assume this means that starting with 2007 contacts are stored in the PST file along with everything else.

Building on what Bozo said, write something that will back up the PST/PAB file on a scheduled basis. I'd suggest SyncToy; it can be scheduled and is pretty easy to set up.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I assume this means that starting with 2007 contacts are stored in the PST file along with everything else.

Building on what Bozo said, write something that will back up the PST/PAB file on a scheduled basis. I'd suggest SyncToy; it can be scheduled and is pretty easy to set up.

Problem is, Outlook 2000 doesn't seem to follow the same paths that 2007 does, in other words, the paths aren't the same...

GS

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Search your HD for *.PST & *.PAB. Or if you're writing a batch file,
C:
CD\
XCOPY *.PST E: /S
XCOPY *.PAB E: /S

For Outlook 2003 my PST is in Documents and Settings\me\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.
where E: is your backup drive.