Admin Permissions Per App

Piyono

Storage is cool
I set my nephews up with User accounts on their bedroom computers.
This is fine for the most part but once a week or so Fortnite tries to update. This requires admin privileges and hence adult/Admin involvement.
I've tried creating a Fortnite shortcut using 'runas' but this apparently hasn't worked. I imagine there must be a component separate from the game executable that requires admin privileges for the update to occur.

Can anyone think of a way to let Fortnite update in a User account?

Piyono

Storage is cool
It seems as though the _runas_ shortcut I set up is requesting an admin password.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You used to be able to store the admin password with /savecred. Massive security hole, but probably not a problem for family members. Unfortunately, I have read that Microsoft has disabled that in various versions of Windows 10, so you would have to try it and see.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Can anyone think of a way to let Fortnite update in a User account?

Create or enable an Administrator account. Make sure it has an assigned password that you know.
Open Task Scheduler
Create a new Basic Task and go through all the options. Presumably Fortnite has a command line switch or an updater executable.
When you get done, open the properties sheet on the task. On the general tab, you can set the identity of the user to run the application to be your known-password Administrator account.

Or, a slightly more hacky way, if your task actually requires user interaction, install IntelliAdmin Cron for Windows and configure a job to run in the Console Session as the Local Administrator on a schedule like 0 minutes, 17 Hours, and the rest of the entries as *. That will make the updater start with appropriate credentials to do the updates every day at 5PM. If there's more involved than that maybe you can call all the stuff that needs to be done from a batch file or something.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Eight months on and I've realized that I neglected to report back on how I got Steam to run as admin.
The solution—after some trial and error—was to create a shortcut and in the target to type:
C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:DESKTOP-UFI6199\Administrator /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe"
And then a miracle happened and Steam ran as an admin.

Last edited:

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Reported - Russian edition of the Nigerian scam; сходятся you, too, Читать!