all folders read only

paugie

Storage is cool
the work computer downstairs was virus infected 3 weeks ago.
I reformatted
Now all the folders in 3 partitions are marked 'read-only' in properties. if i uncheck the 'read-only' box and click apply, it asks if I want it to apply to all sub-folders and files. I say yes.
But after "ok"ing, then reopening the properties box, the 'read-only' box is checked again.

I can't save an existing file after editing it. when I click "save" the "save as" dialogue box comes up. I can't rename any folder or any file. I have no idea what happened. Uh, if I 'save as', the new file is editable, savable and rename-able

Help please.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Every file in every folder is EXPLICITLY marked Read-only? Not just the greyed out box that means "There's some read-only stuff in here."

And you're sure you've cleaned off any viruses present?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
From a command line in the parent dir you want to clear, try attrib -r /s *.*

The -r clears the Read-only flag and the /s says to do the current and all subdirectories. For minimal help, do attrib /?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I duno, in the folder properties, security tab does your user have full control?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Did you create the folders as one user and now you trying to access them as a different user?

Bozo :joker:

paugie

Storage is cool
I still suspect there could be a virus or malware even if Avast cleaned it (2 viruses) using the boot scan.

I tried the attrib -r from the command line and I get a nonrecognized command error message.

I am logged on as administrator.

sorry for the late response, I was onto something else yesterday.