Amd dual chips and XP home?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
XP home doesn't support multiple processors according to MS website.
Does it suppor the new AMD chips that are dual?
In other words:
Is it a licensing limitation?
Or it doesn't include the multi-processor kernel?

Also does anybody know if you can get fast user switching to work with XP Professional?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
People use fast user switching?

Oh well.

IIRC, Windows only considers physical CPUs for purposes of licensing. Even if that's the case, XP Pro is licensed for use on up to two physical chips.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
According to Microsoft, XP Home will recognise and work on dual-core chips, as it does for Hyperthreaded processors. I presume that this may require an update, but, generally, no big deal.

Fast user switching... is the first thing that I turn-off after a clean install.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Why don't you like fast user switching?

I would think it would be perfect for home users.
Wife wants to use machine but not mess with dad's stuff.
Throw kids in the mix and you might have 4 simultaneous logins.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was being facetious. Actually, I turn off the candycorn interface first.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't find Fast User switching to be conducive to proper security. Especially since most XP machines don't have proper passwords to begin with. What's keeping your kids from monkeying with your stuff, again?

I also don't like sitting at machine that's running a bunch of programs that I didn't start (someone else sharing a PC with me would hate it even more, with the 500MB Firefox processes I usually have open).

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Never mind the fast switching, just having a whole slew of users is an unmitigated disaster. Ever tried to clean the spyware/viruses out of a system with 7 different users? I am seriously considering revising our standard price list for cleaning crap off systems so that it applies on a per-user basis. If you want to bring in a machine to have the spyware cleaned off and you have seven different users with the damn stuff, that's fine: we will bill you seven times the normal charge. Well, maybe an additional 33% per extra user, so that's 3 times the usual charge. It's at least three times as much work, after all.

Now to multiprocessing. I am astonished that anybody would even think about regarding a hyperthreading CPU as having anything whatever to do with being a dual processor. Hyperthreading is nothing but a poor man's remedy for a crippled CPU design that's incapable of chewing gum and scratching its arse at the same time.

Intellectually, we know better, of course, but we are still constantly getting surprised at the way that P4 systems bog down hopelessly at the slightest hint of a second task on the desktop. Start a Mozilla install off the CD-ROM, for example, and then while you wait, start doing some trivial desktop tidying - switch off some eye candy for example. Instant clag. A bloody Duron copes better than that, or a half-decent P-III for that matter.

Errr .... can I go now?

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
sechs said:
According to Microsoft, XP Home will recognise and work on dual-core chips, as it does for Hyperthreaded processors. I presume that this may require an update, but, generally, no big deal.

The buzzword phrase for the newfangled microprocessor territory we've entered is: "Licensed by the socket."

According to Microsoft licensing, 1 socket containing a dual-core processor or a hyper-threaded processor is the same as 1 socket with a "normal" microprocessor plugged in. If you have 2 sockets with microprocessors of any kind plugged into both, *that* will be considered a "2 processor license."

As I understand, Microsoft and some other vendors aren't having a hissy fit over these newfangled dual-core microprocessors. However, I believe Oracle is and so are some others.

Once 4 (or more) cores per microprocessor socket show up, will MS and others care? This might change. I suspect that at some point in the future we might start hearing about something like "advance microprocessor" or some other term to distinguish more-than-two core microprocessors from a common (in the future) 2-core microprocessor. Personally, I'd like to see the industry-wide eradication of the licensing metric based on the number of microprocessors a host computer has.

By the way, if you are running XP SP-2, I believe it fully recognises both hyper-threading AND dual-core microprocessors. This was the result of a bit of NDA on Microsoft's part as far as dual-core microprocessors are concerned.