amusing police radar story from UK. apparently true.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
Two traffic patrols officers from North Berwick were involved in an incident whilst checking for speeding motorists on the A1 road last May. They were using a hand-held radar device to trap unwary motorists on the Edinburgh to London trunk road.

One of the unnamed officers used the device to check the speed of an approaching vehicle, and was surprised to find that his target had registered a speed in excess of 300 miles per hour. The ?8,000 radar then seized up and could not be reset by the bemused policemen.

The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Harrier aircraft in the North Sea, which was taking part in a simulated low-flying exercise over the Borders and Southern Scotland and running the highway as a navigation point.

Following a complaint by the Chief Constable of the Lothian & Borders Police force to the RAF liaison office, it was revealed that the officers had a lucky escape. The tactical computer on board the aircraft not only detected and jammed the "hostile" radar equipment, but had automatically armed an air-to-ground missile ready to neutralise the perceived threat.

Luckily the Dutch pilot was alerted to the missile status and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile was launched.

Lothian & Border Police Department have declined to comment, although it is understood that officers will be advised to point their radar guns inland in future.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I didn't even know radar guns could read that high. I don't believe there's ever been a road car that could get anywhere near 300 mph, so it's not like there would be much need to. In fact, the only land vehicle that would possibly be doing that kind of speed and might be running close enough to a road to be picked up would be the TGV, and then only in special test runs. In 1990 a slightly modified TGV managed to reach 321 mph, but the driver didn't get a speeding ticket. :wink:

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sounds like urban myth to me:

- the Dutch don't fly harriers
- weapons don't fire off by themselves
- unless it was a live fire exercise, why would the plane be carrying extremely costly ordinance
- range of a handheld radar

etc. etc.

B4RSK

What is this storage?
As an aside...

Fastest street-legal car I have heard about was a Calloway 'Vette that did 254mph on a track somewhere in the US. Car & Driver drove the car to the track, did the speed run, then drove it back.

I read about this in C&D ten or 12 years ago, so I imagine that by now there is a supercar somewhere that is faster.

Ian

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Today there are indeed fast cars B4RSK. However, many older records still stand today, as some of those tests cannot be duplicated. For example, Mercedes Benz still holds the land speed record on a public road. Why? Because there is no room to hit those speeds any longer. They've held this record since 1938 when Caracciola reached 268.7-mph in a W125. In 1939 they had the T80 with a 44.5-liter, 2,800-hp V-12 designed to reach 400-mph. It never made it, something about Hitler and World War II. Are there faster cars today? Indeed. But these days land speed records aren't made on the turnpike or autobahn.

B4RSK

What is this storage?
Interesting stuff Buck.

I wonder how they managed to keep that 44.5 litre engine fed -- at 3000rpm it would be moving 2025 cubic feet of air per minute, an amazing amount of air. For comparison, a 2 litre engine at 7000rpm does about 210 cfm.

Well, family wants to go shopping, so I guess I better stop the technical ramblings here!!

Ian