An open letter to Hewlett-Packard

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Why I will never sell Hewlett-Packard again

We have been selling Hewlett-Packard printers for over ten years. Sometimes we sell other brands, but we have always stuck with Hewlett-Pakard and Epson for the vast bulk of our printer requirements. We don't sell a lot of printers - computers are our thing, printers just an adjunct to our core business - but I guess we go through 200 units in a good year.

-----------------------------

Last September or October I ordered a pair of Deskjet 640s because we'd just sold the last one on the shelf. At this particular time we were selling about 70% or 80% Epsons, but our Epson/HP mix changes all the time, depending on the current model line up. Up until a few months before that we had been selling mostly Hewlett-Packards.

The two Deskjet 640s sat there on the shelf for a week or two, which is nothing unusual - some weeks you sell ten printers, other weeks none at all. Some time in October we sold a new computer system with a printer bundled. The printer came back a day or two later: it was faulty and wouldn't print, said the owner.

We powered it up and ran the self test. Passed no problem. Just to double-check, we plugged it into a computer and tried to print: not ready. Swapped the cable, checked the drivers, tried again. No go. Tried a USB cable. Tried to print from a DOS boot disc with the time-honoured COPY A:\AUTOEXEC.BAT LPT1: but that was the same. So we took another Deskjet 640 off the shelf and gave it to our customer, who went away happy.

That, after all, is what we are here for: to send our customers away happy. And incidentally, it is also why we are still in business after eleven years in an industry where the failure rate of retailers is a legend.

A little later, perhaps a week or so, we got time to start the RMA proceedure. Now with any normal product, you take a form and fill it out with the product details, the fault description, the relevant invoice number, and you fax it off to the supplier. The usual thing is to wait till you have three or four things that need to be RMAed - maybe two motherboards, a hard drive, and a modem, and then spend 10 or 20 minutes doing the paper work. Sometime later, usually the next day, you go to the fax machine and transfer the RMA numbers that your suppliers have sent you to the goods (which you have already packed up in anticipation), and put them out the front ready for the courier to pick them up.

Every now and then you need to go through your RMA book to make sure that the stuff you sent off has all been returned to you. Most of the better suppliers will have the goods back within a week, very few things take longer than a month.

But with Hewlett-Packard it is different. For HP products you have to use the telephone.

And this is where the trouble starts. We already knew from past experience that HP's call centre takes forever to do anything. For a start, they want you to go through a set procedure with you on the telephone, which is (a) a complete waste of time, since you have already done the troubleshooting long since, and (b) usually impossible, as you don't normally have the customer's entire computer system in front of you, let alone time and space to set it up and test it all over again.

But with practice you can persuade them that, yes, you have tested the printer properly, that yes, you have worked with computer equipment before - in fact that between you and the rest of the staff you have 30-odd years of hands-on computer experience going right back to the 1970s - and that, yes, the printer is actually faulty and you just need an RMA number for it. On average, this takes about ten minutes.

Then comes the hard bit: actually getting the RMA number.

Hewlett-Packard have a proceedure. Essentially, it allows for two possibilities and two possibilities only. Either you have just bought the printer and it is DOA, or else you are an end-user.

If you are an end-user, then you are supposed to call HP direct and then find a way to ship the unit to their Melbourne office at your own expense. Most people don't know how to do that - Melbourne is two hours drive away from Ballarat, and anything up to six hours away from the more remote parts of the state. And anyway, very few people think to call Hewlett-Packard. They bought the printer from Red Hill Technology, so if it doesn't work they call Red Hill Technology. Which seems perfectly sensible and reasonable to me. So, when we have an HP printer fail six months out, we ask the customer to call HP themselves on HP's toll-free number, make a note of the RMA details HP give them, and bring the printer into us. We will take care of packing it up and shipping it off to Melbourne for them, we pay the freight, and HP can return it either direct to the customer or via us, whichever suits the customer.

We don't have a problem with that. It's not as good as the normal fill-out-a-form-and-fax-it method, but it's workable. And we appreciate that a lot of people buy HP printers from supermarket-style operations that can't do even the simplest of repair and diagnostic work, and thus understand that HP need a direct-to-the-end-user service organisation.

That's possibility number one. Possibility number two is the DOA.

If the printer is less than two weeks old then it counts as DOA and you RMA it in the ordinary way through your wholesaler. (Fill out a form and fax it.) The wholesaler sends an authorisation and you ship the printer back to them, they ship it to Hewlett-Packard and you get a replacement. But the DOA proceedure HP uses is very rigid. So far as the wholesaler is concerned, if they don't get it back to Hewlett-Packard within their two week period, then there is nothing they can do, outside of giving you a new printer and throwing the faulty one away. (Which we don't expect them to do, of course.)

Now comes the real issue. What if the printer does not belong to an end-user and it is not less than two weeks old? This is the hole that our Deskjet 640 fell into. It had been on our shelf for some time. Maybe more than two weeks, maybe not. Then it went to the customer for two or three days, then it sat waiting for another week or two until Kristi managed to find a free half-hour to waste on the telephone with Hewlett-Packard. (For a normal fax RMA request she would have only needed to find two or three minutes.)

A half-hour later, she came to me saying that she was completely unable to get any sense out of Hewlett-Packard. They were saying that if the printer passed its self-test there was nothing wrong with it and refusing to issue an RMA. She was still on hold after 25 minutes when she gave up.

So I called them - and got absolutely nowhere. I can be very polite, perfectly clear, and very firm when I need to be. I wasted three quarters of an hour and got the exact same run-around that she had got. This was a Friday afternoon and I had customers queued up waiting to talk to me. Eventually I had to hang up and do some real work.

There the matter rested for two or three weeks. The printer wasn't DOA (according to Hewett-Packard) and it didn't belong to an end-user, therfore it didn't exist, so far as their service department was concerned. Perhaps if I'd had another couple of hours to waste on the telephone I could have achieved a result of some kind, but time is money and I had more urgent tasks to attend to. In the final analysis, spending upwards of three hours to get a replacement for a $200 printer just isn't worth it. Better to throw the damn thing away and spend those hours doing something useful, like earning my $200 back.

But the matter bugged me. I don't like being ripped off. I paid good money for that printer.

At this stage another customer comes into the story. Lucy was a student. She had bags of time but very little money and she needed a computer with a printer. Ahah! (I thought.) I'll sell the printer to Lucy at half price - loosing $100 on it - and she can spend however long it takes on Hewlett-Packards RMA line. She is an end user (which I'm not), she will fit into their procedure and be able to get the warranty honoured. I put the idea to her and she jumped at the chance to get an HP printer at well below cost. An hour or two on the phone was no problem at all for her, and the $100 saving meant that she would be able to afford a printer after all.

Problem solved.

No it wasn't! Hewlett-Packard, when she called them, went right back to insisting that if it passed the self-test there was nothing wrong with it. She spend a long time on the phone to them - I'm not sure exactly how long - and got nowhere. She called me for help.

So then I got her to bring me the printer and I got David (one of our part-timers) to spend an entire Wednesday afternoon testing the Deskjet 640 and making careful notes of every step he took. On my instructions, David plugged it into five or six different computers, using two different USB cables and three different parallel cables, and then doing a test print on each computer with a Epson we had handy. Of course, I had already done this same thing months before (though with just two or maybe three computers) but now I had it detailed exactly in writing. That cost an afternoon's wages for David, but now I could call HP again and demand that they honour their warranty.

They did too.

It took a half-dozen phone calls, several more hours including well over one hour on hold (I timed several of the calls, I can probably find my notes and give exact durations if need be), some very plain talking (no, I don't mean bad language - you never use bad language when you are doing this sort of thing), and an utter determination on my part not to let Hewlett-Packard get away with refusing to honour their warrany on a printer that had never, ever worked from the moment it was taken out of the box.

Time-wise it was a disaster. I could have made twice the value of that printer in the time it took me to finally get warranty service out of Hewlett-Packard, or treated myself to a whole day off and still been financially better off.

In the end, I only got results by making it 100% clear that I was not going to go away without getting a fair result, and that if Hewlett-Packard didn't either honour their warranty or refund my purchase price right now I would spend the following Monday at the offices of our local fair trading authority - the government body that exists to deal with commercial fraud. One way or another I was getting that printer fixed.

Eventually, after endlessly saying "it doesn't matter how far up you take this, my superior will give you the exact same answer I am giving you", Hewlett-Packard came around to seeing it my way, and a few days later they sent a courier to swap me over with a replacement unit which, so far as I know, works fine.

This is why I am never, ever going to sell Hewlett-Packard printers again.

I've been selling printers every year for eleven straight years now, probably sold two or three thousand in that time, maybe more: roughly 45% Hewlett-Packard, 45% Epson, and 5% or 10% other brands, I guess. And, God willing, I'll be selling them for another ten or twenty years before I reach retirement age.

In short, Hewlett-Packard, you just spent an estimated $100 to $200 on paying your call-centre for staff time and toll-free long distance calls, and in the end the only thing you achieved was spending an extra $20 on sending your own courier to make the swap-over instead of letting us ship the dead one to you in the normal way. (We'd have paid the freight coming back too if you'd asked us to - what the hell, we have accounts with several different couriers. What's one extra carton when we already spend two or three thousand on freight per year?)

All this to save replacing one lousy printer which retails for $200. Take out those two $60 ink cartridges and you were looking at a possible saving of $80 Australian - that's $40US.

And in the meantime, Hewlett-Packard, you've lost two customers.

Lucy, who will no doubt buy four or five Epsons or Canons or Lexmarks over the next ten years or so, when she finishes studying and starts earning and has a family.

And me.

I plan to be the purchasing manager at here Red Hill for quite some time yet - seeing as I own the business I guess I'm allowed to make the odd decision now and then - and the only other candidate for the position is my partner Kristi, who is in charge of our RMA department and is, if possible, even less keen on doing business with Hewlett-Packard than I am. And she's twenty years younger, which means she might be around the place for longer.

Now we are just a small dealer. Over the next ten years we will probably only sell two or three thousand printers. But small shops that stay in business for a long time add up to some serious dollars. Hewlett-Packard, on my rough figures, you just lost one thousand sales.

Probably quite a lot more than that actually, as we don't have time to tell this whole sad story to every single one of the people who come in looking for a printer, so to make life easy on ourselves I'll print this out and put it up on our showroom notice board, right there next to the Epson print samples, where we can just point to it and say "that is why we don't sell Hewlett-Packard" and get right on with business. I guess that means that a lot of the people who come into our busy little shop for service or spare parts, and stand around for twenty minutes in the showoom waiting to get a word with me or Kristi, but buy their printers from the chain stores up the road won't buy Hewlett-Packard printers either.

This is a country town you know. Old-fashioned. Country people take service seriously. You better start taking it seriously too, Hewlett-Packard.

Tony

PS: I bet you I'm still in business when you have gone the same way as DEC and Compaq.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Wow, great post Tony!

Sorry to hear about this incident. I'm glad I have been sticking to Epson for printers, guess I'll be sticking to them in the future too...

Thanks for the info.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry to hear about your HP troubles, Tannin.

Back when I had a job (*sniff*) I used to look forward to the opportunity to call Hewlett-Packard just because there was always the possibility the call would degenerate into something circus-like. In many ways calling HP for printer support was like embarking on a trip - one which had the potential to develop into a wild adventure. You never knew quite what was going to happen this time. I appreciated the distraction from my normal boring routine.

Of course, time typically wasn't a concern for me in those cases - I'd hate to have been in the same situation as you.

Anyway, please forgive the large post here, but this story - which got a lot of exposure (fast +5 early in a high-volume Slashdot discussion) - might amuse you:

From http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/01/10/23/1827201.shtml :

Transcript: My HP Experience (Score:5, Funny)
by volpe (*******@*****.**.com) on Wednesday October 24, @12:29PM (#2473180)

This is kinda long, but I thought you might enjoy this little exchange
between me and Hewlett-Packard customer support. It gets funner as you
get further down. The last line is almost too funny to be true.

I bought an HP Deskjet printer. It came with a hardcopy "Quick Reference"
guide, which made reference to a more complete "User's Guide", which was
nowhere to be found. It also came with an on-line "Quick Help" when the
software was installed. I went to HP's customer support web site to ask
about the "User's Guide". The following is from my entry in their web
submission form. The subsequent email conversation was edited for formatting
and to remove superfluous boilerplate.

CV> problem_description : Page 3 of Quick Ref Guide refers to page 6 for
CV> opening up the on-line User's Guide, but page 6 says to run the CD-ROM
CV> setup program and select "View User's Guide". But there is no "View
CV> User's Guide" on the main HP Deskjet install screen. So, the problem is
CV> that I can't find the full User's Guide. The only available on-line
CV> documentation is the "Quick Help". Where is the full User's Guide?

And HP's reply:

HP> Thank you for contacting HP's Customer Care e-mail support.
HP>
HP> I understand that you need user manual for your HP Deskjet 960Cse
HP> printer.
HP>
HP> The user manuals are provided on the HP web site. Please click on the
HP> link given below to download the user manual.
HP>
HP> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manindex/hpdeskjet928 176_eng_man.html
HP>
HP>
HP> Best regards,
HP> Alex
HP> HP Customer Solutions Team

CV> Hello-
CV> Thank you for providing me with the link to the documentation page at
CV> HP's web site. Unfortunately, I checked that page and the only documents
CV> available are:
CV> 1) Windows XP Update Guide
CV> 2) Quick Reference Guide (hardcopy of which came with the printer and
CV> referred me to the User's Guide)
CV> 3) Quick Help (which is installed locally from the CD-ROM included with
CV> the printer).
CV>
CV> The Quick Reference guide distinguishes the "User's Guide" from the
CV> "Quick Help" and the "Quick Reference Guide". So apparently there is a
CV> document called the "User's Guide" which I have yet to be able to
locate.
CV> It is not included in hardcopy format, it is not installed from the
CV> CD-ROM, and it is not on the Website. Have I missed anything?
CV>
CV> thanks,
CV> Chris Volpe

HP>
HP> I understand that you have an issue with the users guide for the
HP> printer.
HP>
HP> To download the manual, please go to the link below.
HP>
HP>
HP> On the web page, right click on "HP Deskjet 990C, 980C, and 960C
HP> Printers - (Multiple Languages) Quick Reference Guide" and select " save
HP> target as" option from the list to proceed with the downloading of the
HP> manual.
HP>
HP> Best regards,
HP> Alex

CV> Alex-
CV>
CV> Thank you again for your reply. For the third time, I feel the need to
CV> point out that the information at that site is NOT WHAT I'M LOOKING
CV> FOR. As I already stated, I have the Quick Reference Guide. It came
CV> with the printer. It came in hardcopy form, and is identical to the
CV> Quick Reference Guide that you advised me to download from the web
CV> site. But the Quick Reference Guide is DIFFERENT FROM the User's
CV> Guide. The Quick Reference Guide, on page 3, draws a distinction
CV> between itself and the User's Guide. There's a table on page 3 that
CV> tells what documentation to consult in order to obtain certain
CV> kinds of information. The second row in that table refers to the
CV> "User's Guide". The third row in that table refers to the "Quick
CV> Reference Guide". And the fourth row in the table points to the
CV> "Windows Network Guide". I already have both the Quick Reference
CV> Guide and the Windows Network Guide. But the elusive User's Guide
CV> is nowhere to be found. It was not included with the printer, and
CV> it is not available for download from the web page you pointed me
CV> to. I would be most grateful if you would help me find the USER'S
CV> GUIDE. Not the Quick Reference Guide, which I already have, but the
CV> USER'S GUIDE. I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope that
CV> this time I have adequately and clearly explained the problem.
CV> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
CV>
CV> Sincerely,
CV>
CV> Christopher Volpe

HP> Hello Christopher,
HP>
HP>
HP> I understand that you have an issue with the users guide for the
HP> printer.
HP>
HP> To download the manual, please go to the link below.
HP>
HP>
HP> On the web page, right click on "HP Deskjet 990C, 980C, and 960C
HP> Printers - (Multiple Languages) Quick Reference Guide" and select " save
HP> target as" option from the list to proceed with the downloading of the
HP> manual
HP>
HP> In the U.S.
HP> -----------
HP> To order User's Guides, contact HP Parts Direct Ordering at
HP> 800-227-8164.
HP>
HP> Best regards,
HP> Alex

CV> Alex-
CV> Could you please pass my support request on to someone else who is
CV> willing to read my message and understand, as I have stated three
CV> times already, that I do not need the Quick Reference Guide, which you
CV> persistently advise me to download? I'm sure there must be someone
CV> there who is willing to take the time to understand the issue and not
CV> keep sending me the same response. Thanks very much.
CV>
CV> -Chris

HP> Hello Christopher,
HP>
HP>
HP> I understand that you require the full User's Guide for your DJ 960Cse
HP> printer.
HP>
HP> I would like to inform you that the full version of the User's Guide for
HP> your printer is not available. The only manuals available for your
HP> printer are the Quick Help and the Quick Reference Guide. For further
HP> assistance or more information, I suggest you contact HP Phone Support.
HP>
HP> It is HP's goal to assist customers as quickly and as efficiently as
HP> possible. It sometimes is much easier to resolve the issue when
HP> talking live with a technician. The phone number in the US is
HP> 208-323-2551. Business hours are Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to
HP> 10:00 p.m. MT and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.MT.
HP>
HP> Other HP Customer Care phone numbers can be found in your User's Guide

When I read that last sentence, I nearly fell out of my chair.

-Chris

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, HP is slowly going in the can. I have a 700 series Deskjet. I installed WinXP. XP has basic drivers for the printer but that's all. I checked HPs site for updated drivers and found that there would be no support or drivers for the 700 series on XP. I guess they think this will force you into buying a new printer. They're right....an Epson.

Bozo :D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
i, that is beautiful. You know, none of the words are the same, but the overall experience is exactly the same one I had. In my post to start this thread I left out all sorts of nice little conversations that could have come right out of that Slashdot story. My HP experience had the same exact surreal idiocy to it.

But I figured my post was long enough already. :-?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
i, that is priceless. In my experience, there is no one intelligent person or company that could deliberately act in such a brainless manner. Only those hallowed with such traits at birth could provide such a chain of unintelligent responses.

I would presume, that the first email was parsed, or through the online-form you submitted, certain ‘keywords’ were passed, and their email software found, what it thought to be a proper response, and thus auto replied to your inquiry. But the follow up emails were too complicated, unless one of their first ‘rules’ was to parse “Quick Reference Guide”, hence it burped up that canned auto reply every time. However, that thought it debatable, since the last reply changed.

Either way, I love it.

BR

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Bad luck with cheap printers...

Wow Tony. That's too bad, but not unusual from what I have noted in cheaper printers.

I had a 540 Desk whatever, and replaced it with a 4000N.

Driver support is not that good, and, they always come up with software updates, and such, that don't install, over the net.

I have yet to get their 'net install'feature to work on any number of networked computers that use that printer.

Anyway, I have been blessed that the printer, and duplexing unit, have always been supported by the OS I've used with it.

However, I have no doubt, that in the future, XP as an example, that it will not be supported. However, since I will only move to XP when 2000 is no longer supported, I'm not concerned.

gs

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well, I have to counter the HP bashing with my somewhat positive experience with support on my 990. Of course, I am an end user and as such fall in to the category of people HP might on occasion actually listen to.

Anyway, the printer died 10 months in to the 1 year warranty. Physically died. Grinding gear & a small puff of white smoke when powered on. Of course, we all know the smoke makes it work so it stopped working when the smoke was let out.

Called HP support, spent a few minutes on hold, explained the problem, held the phone to the printer while turning it on so the "tech" could hear it (my suggestion; not theirs). They concurred that it was indeed dead. Shipped a replacement via FedEx 2-day, complete with new 1 year warranty. I returned the dead unit about a week later at their expense via the shipping label they included with the replacement unit. So, no cost to me & the replacement printer came with new cartridges.

Really, overall it was not a bad experience at all. Sure, the printer died, but it was replaced with little effort and I got a fresh warranty out of it.

My past experience with Canon (BJ620) & Epson (Stylus 900) printers has been dreadful. The Canon would clog & smear; the Epson started reporting empty cartridges even when I put new ones in regardless of cleanings, etc. Of course it happened shortly after the warranty was out. The Epson's print quality was also rather dull by comparison and while fast in draft mode, it's speed sucked in any high-quality mode.

I also never understood the whole routine it went through whenever you powered it on; I turn on the HP and it's ready to print. The Epson had to do all of this fancy head cleaning or whatever. Actually, the HP design is such that I can leave the printer on all the time and not dry out the cartridges or have other ill effects. Neither the Canon or Epson could do that.

- Fushigi

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
According to HP, Walter Hewlett is the cornerstone of all their problems! But have no fear, an HP document is quoted as saying: "Carly Fiorina was brought in by this Board to drive change and put HP back on path to leadership."

Paul Hales makes light of this information in connection with the Compaq merger at: http://www.theinquirer.net/12030203.htm

They sure do have a mess to contend with. I fear that more HP Customer Service issues will arise as a result of their troubled merger.

BR

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I just got a form letter, saying support for my printer was

not avaliable on email, from HP, when the topic I entered was that their support for their other printers sucked.
:cry:

gs

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tony said:
PS: I bet you I'm still in business when you have gone the same way as DEC and Compaq.
How true! It's so sad to see a once great company falling to the lowest denominator.

But HP's not alone. My niece bought a cheapo Epson inkjet. The first time she changed cartridges, it couldn't "see" any cartridges at all; kept saying install cartridges. These were genuine Epson cartridges purchased at Office Depot. The printer was 2 months out of warranty. A call to tech support resulted in a recommendation to take it in to an authorized repair facility. These guys want $50 just to check it out, plus additional for repairs as warranted. Needless to say the printer is sitting in the attic now.

Few companies seem to know what service is.

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
:eek:

I guess I should be thankful my little Deskjet 820C is still humming along. Bought it new back in... *counts on fingers* 1994 or so. On third cartridge only. :)

I guess those sacrificial offerings of old AOL disks really made a difference. ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
While we're talking about HP... HP's Deskjet 930/940-series has been substanially better than most of their other products. Does anyone know if that product line has been continued with the current models (the swoopy-looking silver UFO-type printers), or if it was dumped during the changeover?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
HP's products made, oh, pre 1995 are rock solid, like MBTs. Quality and service have gone downhill at an accelerating pace since, in my experience. There's millions of 5L, 6L and 1100 laser printers out there with that darn multi-feed problem. A whole bunch of sharks got rich on that issue with a class-action lawsuit.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
mubs said:
HP's products made, oh, pre 1995 are rock solid, like MBTs. Quality and service have gone downhill at an accelerating pace since, in my experience. There's millions of 5L, 6L and 1100 laser printers out there with that darn multi-feed problem. A whole bunch of sharks got rich on that issue with a class-action lawsuit.

Thats what my hospital IT Support friend said also. He absolutely hates trying to fix HP printers made after the LaserJet 4 series; too much cheap and easily broken components he said. I still have a LaserJet 4MV in my office and it has not broken down even once; built like a tank and weighs like a tank. We must have printed millions of pages with it and the only thing it needs replacing is the toner cartridge. :lol:

Cheers,
Edward

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:

Aren't the 5L, 6L and 1100 the budget printers? I wouldn't expect them to last, knowing HP.

Their heavy duty workhorses however, I haven't heard anything untoward about them.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
mubs said:

Aren't the 5L, 6L and 1100 the budget printers? I wouldn't expect them to last, knowing HP.

Their heavy duty workhorses however, I haven't heard anything untoward about them.

Mark has claimed that the P-series are the "person" printers. I've never worked with the L-series. Occasionally we throw out one of our remaining P printers.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, I guess I'm glad I bought the HP Laserjet 4000N. Been running for years, no problems.

Thanks for the info on the cheaper models. Wonder if the Laserjet office models are going downhill?
s

Mercutio

My rule of thumb is that if it looks like a photocopier and doesn't say Lexmark on it, it's probably fine. Just about every office I go in seems to have a 4500N, and I don't know of anyone who has a problem with a 4500N. Those big printers are probably the last thing HP makes that's any good.

I've even heard doctors complain about HP medical imagining equipment.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
When we toss out a P-series printer we replace it with a 2100 or 2200. If we want to consolidate in the area we'll put in a 5000. Not enough time yet for data on longevity.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The hawk-eyed-one said:
Maybe $399 is budget in your eyes, Sir. It surely is not in mine. The L series was not budget; they were personal laser printers. So are the 1100s.

I bought my first laser printer in 1991 for $979 - an HP IIIP (along with WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS for $389). It had a design problem - the fuser would blow every 18 months. I went throught three fusers ($110 each time to get it fixed) and then traded it in for the 6L I have now.

The LJ 4 (and the products based on that design - the 4000 and the 5000) is the most-produced, most trouble free laser printer ever made. If you have one, hang on to it.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have a LJ5 that I bought last year for $230, plus it only had about 6000 pages on it at the time. It has been working really well since I got it, but I have only printed between 2000-3000 pages on it since then. I am guessing that it will last me for a long time to come.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The L series are worse than the P series. P meant single user (Personal), low monthly useage printer, L means mass marketed throw-away junk. HP's "Budget" printers are no better than HP/Compaq's budget computers.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
P5-133XL said:
The L series are worse than the P series. P meant single user (Personal), low monthly useage printer, L means mass marketed throw-away junk. HP's "Budget" printers are no better than HP/Compaq's budget computers.

I had a LJ 6L for about 5 years that worked fairly well. I finally decided to get a new printer when it would grab about 20 pages at once when you tried to print something. If you keep it full of paper it still works fine, but when there are less than 30 sheets in it then it has the feeding problem. Either way my dad is using it now and isn't complaining.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
For personal use, my little LaserJet 4L just keeps on truckin' after eight years of use. It may not be the fastest, but it has proven its reliability and value to me. As for newer HPs, I have encountered issues.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
timwhit said:
I had a LJ 6L for about 5 years that worked fairly well. I finally decided to get a new printer when it would grab about 20 pages at once when you tried to print something.
As a result of a class action lawsuit for this problem, among other remedies, HP makes available a free kit that an end-user can use to fix the problem. It involves using a carboard template to insert a new paper separataor pad into the printer (the new pad has self-stick glue on it). HP warns that this is a one time procedure, and that if the problem comes back, it will have to be taken to a repair shop (I don't believe that). I did this procedure a few months back and so far it's working fine - I usually have 10 pages in the printer and it will only draw in one to print. If you search HP's support section you'll find the info on it. If you can't let me know. I have some extra pads I could send your way.

There are also third-party fixes to this problem that will set you back ~$30; Googling will get you to the right places.

Sorry this thread got totally hijacked, Tony.

Mercutio

S'OK. He wasn't using it anyway.

The lab machines I maintain ALL have an attached printer. Mostly color inkjet, more HP 932s or 945s, with some dreadful 620s, 670s and various $30 Apollo Inkjets as well. There's one fairly high-end Epson and a couple of LJ 6Ls.

The Ls seem to give more more trouble than anything. Even the Apollos, which prominently feature stickers indicating that they should be recycled rather than discarded (HP's little way of saying "this is disposable") don't have the number of difficulties that those low-end Ls have. Paper feed issues, fuser problems, jams, refusing to communicate with their host PCs... basically every problem you could have.

While we're talking about crap HP products, try the scanners that use the engine found in the SJ 5100. Hideous beyond comprehension! Compare that with the scanners based on the SJ4 engine, and it's like they're from different planets. The difference? The SJ4 scanning engine has passed from the original scanjet. The "$2000 for a flatbed scanner" product (probably more than that. Gary will no doubt correct me). It was designed to work with SCSI, and it was built to last. It's still sold, today, having passed from the simple "scanjet 4" to some more complicated name that I don't know offhand. It may even still carry a SCSI interface. If the two products are side by side in a store, how would you know one from the other? Lots of experience with HP scanners - you can get some that are utter trash, and some that are just what the doctor ordered... and it's not even like there's a real price difference between the two.