Android: The Legend Begins

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The point was presumably to show how easy it is. It took about as long to plug in the phone as to create the 'Hello World' style app.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think it's a great concept, especially for kids. I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if it's possible to view the generated code?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have the SDK installed and Eclipse setup, I just haven't come up with an interesting idea of what I could create yet.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I have some ideas but I'm starting with some smaller throw away projects to learn how to tap into the various data sources before attempting to do the more ambitious projects. It has been a long time since I did any java work.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have the SDK installed and Eclipse setup, I just haven't come up with an interesting idea of what I could create yet.

How about a barcode reading program? I realize it's been done, but it seems useful and non-trivial and there's probably all sorts of goofy applications that could spring from that.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
How about an app that screws up your reception when you hold the phone a certain way?

The new iPhone has this built-in.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
How about a barcode reading program? I realize it's been done, but it seems useful and non-trivial and there's probably all sorts of goofy applications that could spring from that.

There's a bunch of barcode apps for Android, including one that turns your phone into a Bluetooth scanner for your PC (think DVD Profiler entry), the normal shopping comparisons, code generation, QR codes etc. I'm going to try one that stores your discount cards next (some scanners have trouble reading the screen apparently).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
There's a demo on the web of a barcode scanning program six lines long (it uses an existing library that someone wrote). Contrast this to *anything* from Microsoft. :roll:

The barcode scanning works extremely well with the 5MP autofocus camera. I've easily been able to scan just from the thumbnails of 2D barcodes displayed on web pages - no need for the enlarged view.

Handruin

Administrator
There's a demo on the web of a barcode scanning program six lines long (it uses an existing library that someone wrote). Contrast this to *anything* from Microsoft. :roll:

The barcode scanning works extremely well with the 5MP autofocus camera. I've easily been able to scan just from the thumbnails of 2D barcodes displayed on web pages - no need for the enlarged view.

That's not really a fair poke at MS. To have a good library and only need 6 lines of code to make it work is great, but how many lines of code are in the 3rd party library?

There is a lot of things in C# that can be written in minimal amounts of code. However, supporting my previous argument, the .net framework also has a lot of code in their libraries to make this possible.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There is a lot of things in C# that can be written in minimal amounts of code. However, supporting my previous argument, the .net framework also has a lot of code in their libraries to make this possible.

I'd agree with this. From what I've read the standard libraries that ship with .Net have a lot more built-in functionality than what comes standard with Java SE or JEE. However, this can be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. The Java community has produced an amazing amount of open source third party libraries that I make heavy use of. Some of my favorites are:

- Apache Commons
- Google Guava
- Spring Framework
- Log4J

Handruin

Administrator
You're right, it is both good and bad and requires a bit of planning for any project. I'm certainly not saying C# is the right choice for every task/application, but it does have some nice features built into it...but often times with a lack of control in customizing it. I do favor Visual Studio over Eclipse for project management/development even when integrated with source control. It took me a lot less time to get something going under VS than Eclipse. I also like their debugger and quick-complete features better. The one this I wish VS had that Eclipse has is when you select a function or variable, Eclipse will show you all other instances of it as represented with red dashes on the right side edge. I really like that feature.

The Java community seems to be much more involved and larger than Microsoft/C#, but that's just an observation/opinion. Out of your list of favorite libraries, I've used all but the Guava. I've also seen the others heavily used in many of the other applications written in my org.