Another UPS thread (not the shipping company)

Handruin

Administrator
My power went out this evening while I was placing an order with newegg and everything went black.

I sat there for a few seconds scratching my head knowing full well I have a 30lb beast of a UPS sitting on the floor that made no such indication that anyone was home inside the white square box. I thought, wow, I guess I'll have to consider a new UPS now.

Shortly after, the power came back on and I pulled the unit out from behind my desk. It is now awaiting its doom-queue in the rubbish pile. I could simply researching buying it a new battery but in the last year or so I haven't been happy with the plugs in the unit. Sometimes they become a little finicky when I unplug/plug something into it which causes the device to power off if the plug is wiggled a little (that doesn't seem like a good thing).

So, I began looking at some units and I don't know what's good anymore. It's been probably 3 or 4 years since I've bought one. I liked the features of the APC BR1200 unit but I've never heard anything about them. What are you guys currently using (if anything) these days?

I play to run my system and monitor on the unit along with my networking equipment which is nothing more than the cable modem and my 4-port router (and eventually my external USB drive). The 1200VA may be a bit overkill but it would be nice to have some extended run time.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I upgraded from an APC Back-UPS ES-350 to a Powerware 5110 1500VA unit, after I found that 350VA APC unit wasn't up to the task (only could power my system for roughly 5secs before dying).

The Powerware UPS is roughly the same spec's as the APC Back-UPS range, at about 20% cheaper.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the unit, but don't expect any software support for anything outside of Win2K or WinXP (32bit only). But really, I can live without UPS monitoring for my home system...

Handruin

Administrator
I switched the region to US and now the power looks a little closer to the 120V I would need. :D j/k

I've never heard of these guys before. I'll have to hunt down some reviews and locations that might sell them near me.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I switched the region to US and now the power looks a little closer to the 120V I would need. :D j/k
:rotfl:
I've never heard of these guys before. I'll have to hunt down some reviews and locations that might sell them near me.
Powerware is/was a consolidation of Sola, Powerware and Eaton... Products may be under those other brands depending on the country... eg the Sola 5110 is the same as the Powerware 5110 UPS.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I never had a UPS is the USofA (CA). The power here is b-a-d; a lot of brown outs, sags, surges and actuall loss without warning. Everybody has a UPS, even if it's a mom-n-pop assembly type. "Here" is Bangalore, India. The same could be said of most Indian cities, though.

I bought an APC Back-Ups RS 1500VA in November. APC is the big gorilla here. Liebert is here as well, but their focus is on the data center market. I got mine for a decent price and so far it's worked flawlessly.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I have the APC XS-1500 (I believe this is the same as the BR) and another 1200 model. The only differences are the network protection IIRC.

Got the 1500 cheap after CompUSA instant rebate.

They work, no complaints. There is slight fan noise when they are running off the battery, but nothing noticeable. I like the software, it allows you to specify at what times of the day you want an audible alarm from the unit (nice so you aren't woken up in the middle of the night.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
If you have decent power in your house, I would recommend the APC BE750BB. If there is a lot of interference on your lines, or constant fluctuations, I would recommend the APC SUA1000 or SUA1500.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
For the best kind of protection, spend twice as much for a true 'online' UPS. You are running off the battery at all times, there is no switching time.

Lowest price I could find with a quick search would be for some no-name? Avaya 408427656 1000 VA Online UPS w/Embedded SNMP Card ...

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=online+UPS&btnG=Search&lmode=online&scoring=p&sa=N&start=100

Next is the $300 [SIZE=-1]OPTI-UPS DS1000B SINEWAVE ONLINE 1000VA 700W

Review on CompUSA's site:
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro..._code=51861835&pfp=external&tabtype=rv#review

Differences btw types of UPS explained on this site:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=941&page=2

see thread and comments about APC models that could have poor quality internal components:

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158915

The PowerWave 5125 actually costs more than the OPTI-UPS DS1000B, and it's only line-interactive.

But then this article explains two types of online UPS, in greater detail. [/SIZE]double-conversion online UPS vs delta-conversion online UPS
[SIZE=-1]
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext/ups/typesOnLine-c.html
[/SIZE]

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Price not being a factor, I would also suggest going with an APC RS model.

If, like me, price *is* a factor, you may want to consider Belkin UPSes. The MSRP is reasonable, and, of course, they're cheaper on the street. Their latest design choices leave something to be desired, but they do the job.

You might also want to consider going with two UPSes rather than one mega one. I've switched running my system on one and all of the peripherals on another.