Any PMPs or Six Sigma Green/Black Belts here?

Handruin

Administrator
I know my work is getting into six sigma, but I don't know more than that. ;)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for the response, folks.

I've had my eye on getting PMP certification for a long time. I know I can pass all of the exam stuff; never a worry there (I'm not belittling the exam; just confident in myself). There's one very major glitch. They want at least 4 years of actual project mgmt experience that can be verified and cross-checked. Now this, I don't have.

By project management they mean on a very formal basis - using a tool like MS Project or Primavera, making Gantt Charts, Critical paths, crashing them, etc. etc.

At least, this is my understanding of the requirements from the PMI website (www.pmi.org). So was wondering if a r-e-a-l PMP could tell me if my interpretation is right or wrong, and how they overcame the practical experience requirement.

Six Sigma is slowly becoming a requirement in all big companies. Motorola kind of took QC principles and came up with SixSigma. GE worldwide uses it so fanatically that you can almost never get into GE at a mid/senior position if you don't have it. They have these Karate type designations. Green Belt, Black Belt, Master Black Belt. At a local University of California, the GB program runs $6k, and the BB program $12k. Not peanuts if you're paying from your own pocket!

But having seen trends for a long time (remember I'm an ole fart), I believe it's one pretty effective way to future-proof your career if you have one or both of these designations after your name.

Mubs, PMP, Master Black Belt sounds grand, doesn't it?

Well, I can dream for now, can't I?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
MS Project is the devil. I cannot understand how a program can be so disobedient. I have literally pulled several all-nighters to get the f*ing thing to do what I want it to do. I don't know why it lets you set your own start/end dates and task durations when it will just go ahead and start/end the task anytime it pleases and set the duration for however long it feels like it.

I have never used Primavera, but I doubt it could be that bad if the hardcore kung-fu PM's on multi-billion $ infrastructure projects use it.