Anybody else still holding out on WinXP SP1?

Piyono

Storage is cool
I'm still running XP pre-SP1, partially because of all the privacy broohaha surrounding it on its release, and partially because I really had no compelling need to upgrade. Lately, however, I've been having issues with some USB 2.0 hard drives and I've also wanted to install some MS Power Toys that will run on XP only.
I got by quite handily this far without SP1, and I'm an active proponent of not fixing 'whut ain't broke', but I'm starting to feel the upgrade itch all the same. I'm here to solicit some of your opinions and experiences.
Care to share?

Piyono

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Proper USB2 support and less-broken support for large disks make the SP1 upgrade entirely too necessary for a techie who uses XP. I'm not a big fan of it as an OS - I turn everything back to the "standard Windows" rather than all the Luna/Search Dog UI bullshit.

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
I put SP1 on the machines and don't look back.
I'm anxiously awaiting SP2 hoping it improves performance for the slow PCs with XP that I get to support. These are mostly XP home machines. They should be humming but.... slow.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't hold your breath on speeding anything up. SP2 is over 350Meg in size and adds a lot of stuff.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Can't be worse than the longhorn beta: it uses 500MB RAM just sitting at an empty desktop (at least the 64-bit version does).

Computer Generated Baby

Bozo said:
Don't hold your breath on speeding anything up. SP2 is over 350Meg in size and adds a lot of stuff...

...which doesn't mean it's going to *add* 350 MB of anything. It also could be faster, but I'd be a bit surprised if it was. The so-called "SCSI bug" that affects some SCSI users should become a bad memory with SP-2.

Computer Generated Baby

Piyono said:
I'm still running XP pre-SP1, partially because of all the privacy broohaha surrounding it on its release...

So you fell for that one???

I mean like, yo, does M$ *really* have all the time in the world to go around "spying" on zillions of XP users?

That EULA language crap was simply the result of some bunch of M$ Legal Counsel folk justifying their jobs. It dawned on some legal eagle at M$ that every time Windows Update runs, it's kinda sorta "trespassing" by executing in the memory of your computer -- detecting what software modules are running (device drivers, etc), what application software is installed, etc.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
My laptop is still pre-SP1. I tried SP1 but it for some crazy reason broke the Terminal Services client, which I need for my job. Others have not had this problem, though, so it may be something odd in my particular setup.

I've also been considering giving it another go, but since I keep up with other MS patches, I don't think it's too necessary. I use 1394 for my external drive as the laptop only has USB1.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Computer Generated Baby said:
So you fell for that one???
That EULA language crap was simply the result of some bunch of M$ Legal Counsel folk justifying their jobs. It dawned on some legal eagle at M$ that every time Windows Update runs, it's kinda sorta "trespassing" by executing in the memory of your computer -- detecting what software modules are running (device drivers, etc), what application software is installed, etc.

Call me a sucker, but that sorta stuff gets to me.

]-[