Anybody ever been broken into?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
We've just discovered that one of our barns has been broken into and I'm a little pissed about it. Nothing super valuable is missing but some family history is.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Back in high school the battery was stolen from my mother's car. And as a juvenile, my bike was stolen.

Thankfully, nothing so far in my adult life. We even forget and leave the garage door up all night on rare occasions and nothing's been taken.

- Fushigi

Handruin

Administrator
When I was young, my parents house was broken into while we I was at school. (and they were at work) Fortunately the guy was cought because he was riding a little girls bike down the road with two trash bags full of our stuff hanging on the handle bars.

They caught him and we got our stuff back. Rare that this happens...we were very lucky...

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
My bicycle was stolen out of my garage once. :(

Someone broke a window on my car, too. Nothing was taken, though.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I had about $1000 stuff taken from my car the night before a huge test in highschool.

They took my stereo, CDs.. school books.. graphing calculator etc...

insurance would only cover the things permanently attached to my car (the stereo)... so it was worthless.

SteveC

Storage is cool
My parents' Volvo was broken into four times. Once each at the Shea Stadium parking lot, in front of my Grandparents' house in the South Bronx (not a good neighborhood), on Park Avenue in Manhattan, and while I was taking a tour of Rutgers.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I had 2 bicycles stolen from the garage about 20 years ago. Most of the houses around us had multiple break-ins from the late 1970s through the early 1990s(this was before Guiliani cleaned up the city). About the only thing that saved us from more robberies is the fact that somebody is usually home. We also had two cars stolen, and the front bumper was stolen from my dad's car last year. Statiscally, this is one of the better neighbourhoods for everything except auto theft. Welcome to life in the big city. :mrgrn:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
As told to me by a claims adjuster once, if your car is stolen and you have a, say, $250 deductable, tell the ins co you keep $300 in the glove box to handle emergency repairs. Ditto for a house robbery or fire. When tallying what was taken don't forget that deductable's worth of cash you kept in the cookie jar.

Fair, honest, ethical? Perhaps not. But that's what the adjuster said to do to minimize your losses if robbed. And if the ins co's agent says to do it, who am I to argue?

FWIW, I have not had to make such a claim yet (knock on laminated MDF desktop). I'm not sure if I would make such a claim if put in that position.

- Fushigi

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
When I was a youngster we had a robber in our house at night. My dad chased him out of the house with a large kitchen knife and the police found him hiding in the bushes (we had just moved into the house (newly built neighborhood) and he was expecting that nobody would be sleeping their yet). Other then that, just the odd prank by school kids, like a flower pot missing from the front yard, or something like that.

honold

Storage is cool
i've had homes broken into twice by burglars, and once i was the first one in the house. i ran in and they were right there carting stuff out the back. i was hurrying to watch something on tv, which one of them was holding (and dropped, and broke).

another time there was a prowler with a flashlight and i went outside and stood right in front of him (again as a kid).

got mugged when i was 7 by 2 15 year-olds and got my nose / orbit of my eye broken, big surgery.

lots of stories like this lol. been held at gunpoint 3 times.

what doesn't kill us makes us stronger :)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
My place was renovated last year around the end of winter. The day before the reno started (night before garbage day), I threw out a whole lot of old furniture and general crap. Most of the junk got taken away by the losers in the neighbourhood within 2 hours....one from up the street even came knocking on the door and when I answered they did their utmost best at trying to peer in to see what else might be available.

The next day, while I was at work, the main floor got gutted and all the crap got chucked into and filled a binster on the front lawn. Shortly after I got home, just as dusk was setting in, and after the contractors had left for the day, I caught someone (who looked like the same low life from up the street, but couldn't tell for sure cause they were bundled up and the lighting was poor) trying to peer in the front window from half way up the lawn to the window. I just opened the front door and yelled at them by asking if they "got a fucking problem" (yes, I think that was the exact eloquent wording I choose). Whoever, it was just turned and shuffled off.

That night I was unable to sleep well and was awake at 2 o'clock when I heard someone open the outer front door and try the knob on the inner door. My dog, who was asleep on the bed, heard it and absolutely FREAKED and charged to the front door. I grabbed the remote phone, threw my sneakers on and was at the door in under 10 seconds, probably less. I wiped open the door and the dog flew out on the lawn as I stepped out onto the portch....Nothing. They were no where in sight by the time I got outside. All I know is that burgular must of shit himself and set a new land speed world record the instant he heard the dog, cause I have never heard my dog FREAK like that before.

To this day, I'm convinced it was the low life from up the street. But you never know. When I told my cousin (the contractor) about it in the morning he said that it happens a lot with reno/construction - people see the bin and they think no one is home and an open invitation. I guess the moral of this story is if you ever do reno's, make sure you announce to the world that your still around i.e. lots of lights, noise etc....a dog who, when threatened, sounds like a rabid pack of wolverines certainly helps too.

CK

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Had cars broken into so many times now my insurance is too damn high.

Three times total, each time it was for the stereo, on all occasions the car was alarmed and the front panel for the stereo was detatched. Last time I caught him red handed and chased him down the street but damn those theives can run. Luckily only damaged the window (broken) and dashboard (screw driver marks around stereo), and was pulling out the wires just as I ran out of my front door.

I still have the screwdriver sitting here as a reminder...

http://www.rotting-energy.net/Forums/screwdriver.jpg

:wink:

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Had my car broken into once. Took my head unit and cd changer. It's been about two years and I'm still mad! :bibber: They took my cell phone, too, which I called and spoke to the idiot. I at least had the pleasure of telling this person exactly how I felt about low-life scum like him. Oh, and the police? Don't get me started on their complete disregard for investigating this incident. My car was one of several broken into that night. I understand that these types of crimes are very difficult to solve, but they didn't even give me the time of day!

Wow, I didn't realize I had this much resentment still harbored! :)

CityK: Being in the builidng materials business, we see a lot of theft of materials from job sites. There have even been jobs where windows have been snatched out of their openings (just after they've been set). It's sad when one of the job responsibilities of a contractor becomes security guard.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Dozer said:
CityK: Being in the builidng materials business, we see a lot of theft of materials from job sites. There have even been jobs where windows have been snatched out of their openings (just after they've been set). It's sad when one of the job responsibilities of a contractor becomes security guard.
I read the police activity writeups in the local paper. The area around me is still being developed and there are occasional reports of windows, siding, and air compressors being stolen from construction sites.

Thankfully, there is rarely any crime reported in the established subdivisions.

- Fushigi

.Nut

I used to have recurring problems with various supermodels breaking into my house at night.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Dozer said:
Wow, I didn't realize I had this much resentment still harbored! :)

While it's quite normal to feel resentment after break-in robberies, and I have myself, in the end all that's missing are material things which can be replaced. What really harbors resentement in me are those who accost people in order to rob or rape them. My mom was pushed to the ground by somebody about ten years ago only a few blocks from home. He may or may not have been trying to rob her. He may also have been a rapist. In any case, somebody heard her screams and he ran away but the attack aggravated problems she already had in her knee at the time, not to mention the horror of being pushed to the ground. The attacker should consider himself lucky that I didn't see him or he wouldn't be breathing any more(it's legal to kill somebody attempting to leave the scene of a felony, and I would have put a knife in his hand also if he didn't have one already in order make self-defense look more plausible).

Sadly, as the nonchalant attitude by the police in your incident confirms, we citizens are left to fend for ourselves when it comes to low profile robberies. Perhaps if more robbers were caught in the act and left the scene in a body bag this nonsense would end(in most places in the US once they set foot in your home you can kill them no questions asked, and some places this even extends to just being on your property). Given that all sorts of social programs exist for the needy, robbery can't be justified for any reason, although I would be sympathetic to somebody just looking for a meal, meaning that I wouldn't kill them if they broke in to my house. :mrgrn:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't forget jtr, you can legally kill anyone who breaks into your house/apartment when you are already there, none of that reasonable force rubbish required. After all, they didn't commit a home invasion to kiss you goodnight! And if you only injure, they will only sue you. And it sounds like your Mum was in the midst of an attempted rape, a felony surely? Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
My neighbor's house was broken into last night. :eek: Luckily they didn't have anything of value, but it still sucks that people feel it's OK to just break in and take what they want. The police are still there now fingerprinting but I doubt they'll ever catch the perps.

James

Storage is cool
Two break-ins, both while I was home.

The first was during the day, the person opened the kitchen window and took some cash, a mobile phone and a laptop. First thing I heard was the back gate slamming.

The second was about 5am on a Sunday morning. I woke to the sound of a wooden-sounding thump, I went downstairs to find someone with a flashlight going through a desk in our front room. I ran at them, chased them right through the house, jumped through the back window, caught up with them half way through the back yard, and had an altercation with them until I got everything back of ours I could see. Usual "I'm going to kill you" threats from the burglar obviously didn't eventuate since I'm still here.

Back window now very securely locked and we sleep downstairs.