Anybody using a KVM switch? Feedback wanted

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I have been using a mechanical KVM switch for a while now (VGA, Serial mouse and DIN keyboard) and the thing that drives me batty with it is that at highish resolutions 1024 x 768 @ 75Hz or better, the VGA signal "ghosts" quite badly. 1280 x 1024 is unusable.

So I'm in the market for a new KVM switch, and wanted to know if anybody using one experiences the same ghosting - before I fork out for more of the same problem.

I did send a number of emails to a Sydney retailer (AUS PC Market) who seem to have a few of these things asking about this, and received exactly 0 replies. Either newer switches do have the ghosting problem and they didn't want to admit it, or they couldn't be fscked.

Anybody have any experience?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've never used a KVM that was actually as usable at 1024x768 as having the cable plugged into the PC.

My KVM says Raritan on it, but mostly I just use VNC for everything and don't bother with the switch, which just changes between a couple of console displays on linux boxes and one 800x600 2000 Server display on a 15" monitor.

IIRC, Belkin makes a switch that does 1600x1200. Hopefully that would at least have less of a ghosting problem.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You just got to spend da money

I had a series of mechanical switchboxen, none of them was worth using at anything over 640x 480. Then I spent some two or three hundreds on a real KVM and it is fuss-free and has a good picture. I just ordered a second one with six or eight ports but it hasn't arrived yet. Can't speak for the higher resolutins, as it lives in the workshop and only has a 15 inch monitor on it, but certainly it is vastly better than any of the mechanical ones. Nice, too, that it has excellent KB & mouse emulation: you can boot all four machines at the same time and they don't report "KB error" or fail to load the proper mouse drivers. I have used DOS, OS/2, 'nix, W95, W98, NT and 2K on it, and everything works.

Recommended.

Splash

Learning Storage Performance

I use Raritan MasterConsole II KVM switchers at 1152x864 and 1280x1024. They can work with virtually any mix of computers (including older Sun, SGI, Mac, etc).

products_mc2_image.jpg

http://www.raritan.com/products_mc2_briefing.html

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There's a couple of DVI KVM switches on the market, they will switch DVI video instead of ordinary VGA. Beautiful crisp digital video, at up to UXGA. OF course cost is rather astronomical.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thanks people, there is hope.

Mercutio, I'm going to try VNC tonight. If I can relocate my server I'll be very happy. If not, Tea, you wouldn't have a price on a 2-port version of the one you are using would you?

The Grammar Police

Pradeep, is it possible to have a "rather astronomical" price? I should have imagined that "astronomical" was like "pregnant" - an either/or condition, with no middle ground. Perhaps, given that the "astro" in "astronomical" refers to the stars (same root as "astronomy"), there is a word that refers to something a little closer to home, such as the planets. Can we use "jovian" or "mercurial"? Hmm ... I think not. Well then, we might have to retreat closer to the surface of earth still. How about the moon?

"Lunatic" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

.Nut

The Grammar Police said:
...there is a word that refers to something a little closer to home, such as the planets. Can we use "jovian" or "mercurial"? Hmm ... I think not. Well then, we might have to retreat closer to the surface of earth still. How about the moon?
How about Stratospheric.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I use an Iview model here at home. 1024 x 768 no problems at all. It also has full emulation for all components. Excellent product. I think I paid about $100 for it. I was actually shopping for a mechanical type switch but by the time I added in all the cables etc. that were required it was close to the price of the Iview which came with all the cables needed (three in one cables). Supports up to 1920 x 1440 resolution.

http://www.icintracom.com/cat5/kvmswitches.htm

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm using a fairly inexpensive mechanical switchbox to switch between three computers and was having severe ghosting problems at higher resolutions until I purchased low loss VGA cables. This more or less cured the problem, although some barely noticeable artifacts are visible onscreen in a few places at 1024x768. I might try spraying the switch contacts with radio tuner cleaner one day to see if that can get rid of the remaining problem. I'm sure the problem can be cured with a better switchbox, but if I'm going to spend $150 for one plus the cables, I might as well just get another monitor.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I use a Cybex Switchview at 1600x1200x75 and it works fine. It is also not very expensive compared to what they used to be.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Buck said:
You can find good deals on KVM switches at ebay.

Yes you can, but again you need to know the product because older KVM switches didn't work with scrolling mice and as before be vary careful with the resolution limitations of the KVM unless you like to view your screen with a variety of problems.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
P5-133XL said:
Buck said:
You can find good deals on KVM switches at ebay.

Yes you can, but again you need to know the product because older KVM switches didn't work with scrolling mice and as before be vary careful with the resolution limitations of the KVM unless you like to view your screen with a variety of problems.

Considering the intelligent group we have here Mark, I took that type of research for granted. :) But it is an important point to make.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't used the linksys, but you can obtain the 2 port version for almost nothing right now at amazon.com ($35 includes shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SB99/bensbargaicenter/104-5154558-2915103

The unit supports 2 PC's and is capable of running at a Max resolution of 1920 x 1440 at 85Hz, DDC2B

Here is their spec sheet:
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/ps2kvmds.pdf

B00004SB99.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Looks like it includes the cables which is a nice benifit.

Amazon user comments here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...aicenter/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-5154558-2915103

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Good grief! My buy price for that Linksys KVM (with cables) is nearly US$70, excluding tax! So normal retail would probably be AU$160 including tax.

I thought they were overpriced here, but that really brings it home. :cry:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The one that stuns me are my wholesale prices for, well, pretty much everything, versus Newegg's prices. I can get cases, CPUs and RAM cheaper, yes, but absolutely nothing else.

And usually, it's not even close.

Handruin

Administrator
A coworker has this exact unit and he just told me it cost him $70 not too long ago. So I believe this is another one of those things I'm growing a "Dealitis" of. ;)

He also said the picture is great, but it gets a little "funky" when he connects to a laptop.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
my buy price for the D-Link 2 port KVM is AU$118.80. not a bad price methinks. now i'm wondering whether i should get one too...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think they ship it outside the US, so you would need someone to deliver to and for them to send it to Aus.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I have the linksys 2-port one. It worked well at 1024x768. I had a laptop and desktop hooked up to it. Only downside is ps/2 to usb adaptor didn't work with it.