Anyone done a 4 drive, Cheetah, 36 gig, raid zero boot array

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
With a Megaraid 320-1, using an SCA box, and a single channel?
In, a PCI-X slot?

Wondering what the limit is, for data transfer in this setup...

GS

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Anybody done a renditon of God Save the Queen arranged for jaws harp in the key of b flat minor, standing on one foot naked in the snow wearing your last week's underwear suspended from your left earlobe by a paperclip with one eye shut while reading War and Peace and looking for a taxi?

Err ... in a word, Santilli, no, I don't think anyone has done that. At least probably not this week. It was a great question though.

Hey, think of it this way: you are a pioneer, the SCSI freak's SCSI freak, the man who fearlessly blazes a trail into the unknown, staggering off into the sunset and doing your best to ignore the malaria, so weak with fever that you are barely able to summon the strength to push the elephants from your path.

Errr ... sorry about that. I'm not sure where I got the elephants from. It's rinoserocessssess in your part of the jungle, isn't it? Or possibly drug-crazed taxi drivers.

(Tea!)

(Hmmm?)

(Go to bed, you fool! Sleep!)

(Sleep?)

(You know: shut-eye, snoozy time. Nitey-night. Lie down. By-by. Zzzzzzz.....)

(Huh?)

(Shut up and go to sleep you stupid furball!)

(I forgot how to sleep. Didn't we do that last year?)

(Aggggarh!)

(OK, OK, keep your fur on.)

(I haven't got any bloody fur you moronic ape! Are you seriously telling me you can't remember how to go to sleep?)

(Sorry Tannin, I'm too tired and I can't remember anything just at the moment. What were we talking about? Something to do with bananas?)

(Look, just lie down and start counting. With your eyes shut. OK?)

(Counting what?)

(Anything! Sheep.)

(But how can I see them with my eyes shut?)

(Imaginary bloody sheep then! You can see imaginaery ones just fine with your eyes shut.)

(OK. How many of them do you want me to count, then?)

(Lots! Just keep counting, nice and slowly, until you fall asleep.)

(But I have to stay awake for that. I mean, otherwise how will I notice that I've fallen asleep so that I can stop counting?)

(Just count, OK?)

(OK, OK, whatever. I don't care.)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
One hundred and seventy seven sheep.

One hundred and seventy eight sheep.

One hundred and seventy nine sheep.

One hundred and eighty sheep.

One hundred and eighty one sheep.

(You are doing fine, Tea. Just fine.)

One hundred and eighty two sheep.

One hundred and eighty three sheep.

One hundred and eighty seven sheep.

One hundred and eighty four sheep.

One hundred and eighty five sheep.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Three thousand five hundred and sixty four sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and sixty five sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and sixty six sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and sixty seven sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and sixty eight sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and sixty eight sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and sixty nine sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and —

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Stupid ape. Can't you do anything right?

(I am not a stupid ape!)

(You're not even counting right. And that last one looked more like a goat.)

(It was a sheep. Now be quiet, I'm trying to concentrate.)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Three thousand five hundred and seventy four sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and seventy five sheep.

Three thousand five hundred and seventy six sheep.

(Hey, Tannin, are you sure that other one was a goat? It looked like a sheep.)

Three thousand five hundre —

(And how do you tell the difference anyway? Is there a difference? Hey, wake up Tannin, I'm trying to ask you a question!)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Re: Anyone done a 4 drive, Cheetah, 36 gig, raid zero boot a

Santilli said:

Not important. There's nothing you could possibily be doing that would be so transfer intensive that you would need something like that.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Re: Anyone done a 4 drive, Cheetah, 36 gig, raid zero boot a

Santilli said:
With a Megaraid 320-1, using an SCA box, and a single channel?
In, a PCI-X slot?

GS

Open a 4 GB tiff image in Photoshop with the scratch file on the array.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
Anybody done a renditon of God Save the Queen arranged for jaws harp in the key of b flat minor, standing on one foot naked in the snow wearing your last week's underwear suspended from your left earlobe by a paperclip with one eye shut while reading War and Peace and looking for a taxi?
I'm afraid, sir, you've missed your true vocation in life!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Err ... in a word, Santilli, no, I don't think anyone has done that. At least probably not this week. It was a great question though.

Hey, think of it this way: you are a pioneer, the SCSI freak's SCSI freak, the man who fearlessly blazes a trail into the unknown, staggering off into the sunset and doing your best to ignore the malaria, so weak with fever that you are barely able to summon the strength to push the elephants from your path.

Errr ... sorry about that. I'm not sure where I got the elephants from. It's rinoserocessssess in your part of the jungle, isn't it? Or possibly drug-crazed taxi drivers.

:rofl: :eek:wneddnce:

I thought Splash might have done something like that, since he had some absurd number of dual scsi raid 0 workstations, pushing around 80 mb/sec, at the beer factory. :wink: running 24/7 forever.

I used to hang out with the Macguru guys, and when scsi 320 came out, they hooked up 8 seagate cheetahs, in raid 0, and ended up around 180+ mb/sec, IIRC, but OS X wouldn't allow them to boot from the arrays.

Elephant, anyone?

ele1.jpg

ele.jpg

ele2.jpg

Oh, furball wanted a rhino....

rhino.jpg

elhouse.jpg

There furball: hope this helps...

Sorry, no sheep... :D

GS

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Don't worry, Stampy. I won't let <insert SF regular> sell you to that ivory dealer. You and I are going to run away together. We'll keep to the back roads and make our way south. Then, if I know my geography, it's just twelve miles to Africa.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tannin said:
Everybody scroll up and look at that child and rhino picture again. That is the most beautiful picture! My deep respects to the photographer.

I believe you meant to write, "My deep respects to the Photoshopper."

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry to burst your bubble Tannin. :( I was impressed at first too, except I've heard more than once that rhinos are just not friendly. And as soon as I remembered that, and started to look more closely at the picture ... well, I guess I'm a skeptic at heart.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
rhino1.jpg

This is a darted rhino.

Another guy used to have a ranch, 22,000 acres, in South Africa, before he was forced out of the ranch. New government, and he was white.

He had 23 white rhinos, and while you couldn't exactly pet them once they grew up, you could when they were babies, like 1000 pounds and under.

Keep in mind, white rhinos are the second largest land animal on the planet, at around 10k full grown, and, they don't see well, and, thanks to our asian 'friends', they tend to get shot for their horns. One solution would be to dart them all, cut the horns off, sell the horns, and, they would lead a long, and productive life, since everytime the horn got big, you could cut it off, and sell it to the chinese for huge money...

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Oh, the guy Christer, is a bit of a rhino himself, at 6'7" tall, and over 275 pounds.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Then there might yet be hope for Tannin's dream. I did some reading earlier today ... it looks like you might get away with posing for a picture like that if you happen to have chosen a white rhino. All bets are off if it's a black rhino however. (And annoyingly, there isn't really a color difference between the two types.) Either way I'm still a bit skeptical. :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The funny part about the big 5, cape buffalo, lions, elephant, leopard, rhino, both black and white, is they are fairly smart, if unperdictible. African elephants have a low frequency language, and can communicate complex ideas. Tava, that Tannin used to have on his website, with myself and my girlfriend riding, is about as smart as a 12 year old, and with that trunk, and size, gets into everything, according to her trainer.

Rhinos, both types, once they get to know you, are easy to scare, but, I think it would be possible to pet one, but I wouldn't exactly make a habit of being around any 10,000 pound animal, just because if they are having a bad day, you startle them, etc. if they lean on you, you are dead.

Cape Buffalo make Madrid fighting bulls seem like domestic cats, with their temper, so, that would be the one I really wouldn't want to try and pet.

Saeed(United Arab Emerites royal family, prince, runs Accurate Reloading website) has already discussed knowing a lion from childhood, and, the lion remembers him, and jumps on him, licking his face, after a long time apart. Lions are social, but, the males have a real fighting instinct, that's impossible to stop, and, you are going to loose, even if they are playing.

Same with leopards. Leopards and lions playing with you could be fatal to your health. Still, it has been done. Segfried and Roy have shown us how close you can get to cats, and, how smart they are.

Keeping any wild animal in captivity is not good for either you, or them, but, still, the above animals are capable of recognizing people, and working with them...

GS