Anyone need an HP LaserJet 4 for parts?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Following on the heels of my very successful post about a free Pentium Pro motherboard...

I have an HP LaserJet 4 that I need to get rid of. Outwardly it looks perfect. Internally, it needs new rollers, and also a replacement rubber foot (which is actually necessary to keep the lower paper tray from racking and increasing the risk of paper jams). All of that is available through HP for pretty cheap.

The problem is that HP no longer appears to be providing replacement fusers for the LaserJet 4. And I'm pretty sure this printer needs a new fuser. So ... I'm kind of out of luck there.

Even if fusers were still available, I'm sure I'd have people telling me that the circa $100 part isn't worth it when you could just put the money towards getting a brand new Brother HL-1440 (is that the model everyone recommends?) instead. I'd ignore you. And I know other owners of early HP LaserJets who would too. The 4 and 4 Plus printers are usually worth holding on to.

But in this case, I'm going to admit defeat and ship the poor thing off to HP's recycling service.

That is unless someone here happens to want it as a source for replacement parts for their LaserJet 4. Or if they happen to have access to compatible fusers and want to refurbish this one. It's free. I expect you'd want to pick it up somehow too - it's kind of heavy to be shipping just as a source of replacement parts.

I fully expect to be packaging it up for recycling later this week. I just thought I'd ask here first though.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Where would we be expected to pick it up from? What are the installed options and memory?

I wouldn't mind another 4. My color 5 doesn't really print as sharp as the 4 did (half the rez).

Parts if anyone cares, not the cheapest and I am sure there are others:
http://www.printerworks.com/

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Sorry ... I must have changed my user settings at some point - I used to have my location displayed under my avatar: Arlington, VA.

As for options: It does NOT have a network card. It does have serial and parallel connectivity. It has 2 megs of RAM onboard, along with an additional 16 megs worth of SIMMs installed (four 4MB modules).

Made in the USA (!), manufactured December 1993.

MaxBurn, if you'd prefer, I can always try removing the specific parts you think would be useful and ship them to you. Skipping the steel frame alone would probably drop the weight by a lot. As is, and without packaging, it weighs about 45 pounds.