Anyone used a Samsung SP1614C?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm thinking of buying a few Samsung SATA drives, but reports I'm reading on newegg indicate they may be loud like WD *JB units. Has anyone here used one?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I've sold three or four, Merc, but never plugged one in. I can't think of any reason why they would be any different from the standard 160GB Samsung though - or, indeed, from the 80GB and 120Gb drives that are identical bar the number of heads and platters. These we have sold and used lots of, of course.

I just don't notice drive noise anymore (aside from old ones with peculiar notes - the 2.5GB Fujitsu I plugged in the other day, for example - and in any case, there are always at least 3 computers running in the workshop and the fan noise makes modern drives more-or-less inaudible. Certainly with the Samsungs, but I don't recall hearing any modern drive to speak of.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a pair of SP1614Ns, which are the parallel ATA version.

They're pretty quiet, although a bit warmer than I'd expected. I just got a 7k250 for about the same price as I got the P80s, and it's cooler, quiter, and performs better.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I thought the few Samsung 160GB 7.2k 8MB drives I've used were deffinitely much warmer than the other Samsungs I've used. Due to the small amount that I've used, I couldn't be sure.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Relax Merc. I've got two of the Samsung 80GB SATA drives running together here and they're effectively silent - absolutely NOTHING like the dreaded WD JB's (mind you, some of them are ok too, it's just that others develop an incredibly obnoxious noise).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oh. I've probably got a dozen or so SP1614Ns. I was just making sure there wasn't a material difference between the SATA and PATA versions. It's good that I didn't need to worry.