Apple & Intel

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I find this very interesting.
If it's true, we will finally have a *Nix operating system that's ready for prime time. User freindly Linux :)

And, maybe some real competition for MS :)

Hopefully Apple will sell the OS on the open market. I know I will have it on my X86 box then.

No more weekly patches of doom :D No more daily virus updates :D

Bozo :mrgrn:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I would really like that too. Unfortunately I am pretty certain that if they did move to Intel it would be something like the XBox turned out to be: somewhat proprietary / unable to use the OS on other machines.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Oh plllease guys. Hasn't Jobs shown what a vital idea open source is with Apple, and using the free market so his customers can benefit from the advances in the computer market, driving prices down?

Why don't you think he's going to support having non-proprietary software :?: :wink:

gs

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Having a fixed platform is a big plus for software development, they won't have to cover as much ground.

I don't see apple getting out of the whole box attitude and going to being an OS suplier only, which is what would happen if they released an OS that anyone could use on a PC.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'm sure that if this rumour is true, OS X will still never boot on non-Apple hardware. The OS will perform some sort of hardware check at boot, and refuse to boot on non-Apple hardware. It seems likely to me that Trusted Computing technology can be used to implement this. Intel's latest chipset actually supports this technology...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Intel: "Hey Steve, we have a boat load of these Itanium chips that we can't sell. We'll give you a super deal if you make the smart move and use our processors."

Jobs: "Deal? Like . . . <giggle>. . . wow man."

Intel: <snicker> [This guy is easy.]

Jobs: "Sounds cool . . . let me see what Hector thinks."

Intel: "Son of a gun . . . he's already talking with them."

:D

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Bozo said:
How do Mac users update older machines? Or can't they?

If you are lucky, you can swap out the mobo. Otherwise, you are likely stuck with a sometimes-dodgy aftermarket "accelerator card" from Daystar.

Oh man, Proprietary Simply Rules! :wink:

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Computer Generated Baby said:
If you are lucky, you can swap out the mobo.

PS: I forgot to say, that if you CAN go the route of swapping the mobo out, the mobo can ONLY bought at an authorised Apple dealer and it can ONLY be installed by the Apple certified technician there. No exceptions.

Be prepared to pay plenty for the new mobo, and your old one is kept and (presumably) returned to Apple.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
1500 hundred for a motherboard? Yes, you too can do this. Buy a mac.

It's funny but making upgrades for macs, at least my G3, doesn't appear to be all that easy.

I've already tried the powerlogix 900mhz G3, and it wouldn't boot.

The alternative is a Sonnet upgrade board, that costs 500 bucks, and, I can buy a barebones pc system for that.

I decided awhile back, "Just say no" to spending anymore money on macs.

That said, I still have to deal with these macs at school...

s