Are the ATI 5850 series cards worth the money?

Handruin

Administrator
Is it a decent card for the money? I'm looking at something like the Sapphire 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB @ $309. Amazon is currently the same price. I'd be upgrading from an eVGA 8800GT that has been working fine, just not as fast as I want right now.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think they might be worth $250. I certainly don't think they're worth more than MSRP.
I'm having driver issues with the 5870 that I have not been able to resolve, that I do not have with a 4870x2.

I've always been more or less OK with ATI's drivers compared to nVidia's hardware that's born to die, and I'm sure they'll get the driver issues worked out. I'm not sure how long that will take, though.

Stereodude

Not really a
I hope you got a new motherboard to go with it. You'll have a hard time plugging that into an AGP motherboard.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
LOL, sorry, to clarify, moving from a Dell 400SC with P4 and AGP graphics to an Intel mobo with three 16x PCI-E slots (not sure what the electrical config is). One slot taken up by an Areca 4 port SATA controller.

Mostly will be used for 1080p gaming. Potentially throwing another one in in crossfire 6 months down the track, if some challenging games come out.

Sol

Storage is cool
I just got one (a 5850) last week and so far I'm happy with it. My 2900HD had a memory problem (Cracked solder joints, baking it fixed the problem but for a shorter period every time I did it) and I eventually got sick of it. I've only really played Fallout 3 on it so far and at 1360x768 so I haven't exactly pushed it, but it hasn't dropped a frame for me with 4xAA and some odd amount of anisotropic filtering (13 or 15 or something).

I haven't had any driver issues, everything was happy right away on Windows7 64bit.

I like the idea of being able to plug 3 monitors in although I'm not going to be doing it any time soon. But for me it was mostly about not having to spend an hour in the kitchen before I could play a game and from that perspective it was totally worth it. I guess that probably isn't a lot of help to you though...

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Got the 5770. *Blubbers* Where are the 2003 64 bit drivers?

Is there an "unofficial" version of Catlyst that will work? I tried XP compatibility mode on the XP 64 bit driver but it doesn't finish the setup install.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Ack never mind, told Windows to update the driver and it must have found something acceptable via Windows Update or the driver CD provided.