Article on Longhorns news file system

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They're having trouble getting people to switch to NTFS, why would they switch to something new and unproven, even if it *is* better.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
who doesnt want to switch to NTFS? I've used NTFS for years and welcomed it highly over fat32 when my computer became fast enough to use it. (my 66MHz 486 was markedly slower with NTFS, a pentium II made no noticable difference in speed but gave me many more options over FAT).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As has been pointed out, we (the members of storageforum.net) are an unrepresentative group a storage users.

Your above-average computer user still asks where fdisk is in Windows XP.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
DOS fdisk is bad.... cfdisk is a marked improvement. gdisk and GNU fdisk are too hard to use.

Who would want to use DOS Fdisk in winXP when you can use disk management? It works great for fat16, fat32, and NTFS... easy to use... requires no rebooting...

For an initial install just use another computer, winPE, or the install program.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
GNU's fdisk isn't bad, nor Disk Druid (another OSS tool). diskpart.exe accesses the same APIs as Windows' Disk Management, and can be made to do a few things the graphical tool can't, like extend partitions on basic disks.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Since we're on the topic of file systems, will it make a noticable effect on performance if I mount a HDD as say "/mnt/hdc1" then I mount a folder on hdc1 to another place on the file system(using the --bind switch) to access it?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
Who would want to use DOS Fdisk in winXP when you can use disk management? It works great for fat16, fat32, and NTFS... easy to use... requires no rebooting...

Along with the, "I just installed my new drive, and Windows doesn't recognise it," you understand the issues before Microsoft. If people can't be bothered to figure out that you must first partition and format the drive, then why would they be interested in figuring out why NTFS would be better?

I actually had someone argue that DOS fdisk was the best tool for partitioning drives under Windows XP, since Microsoft had failed to provide such a tool to the user. He was easy to quiet.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
blakerwry said:
does it make any difference?

Not really. Mostly it's a convienence factor. I guess you might manage to improve performance by mounting an important directory on a different, faster drive or something...