Atlas 15K II

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The Atlas 15K II is supposedly available, but I can't find a 36GB 68-pin one at any reputable store. My 15K.3 is messed up and it would be a good time to upgrade. Any ideas? TIA.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Interesting, as it's been available here. Atleast it was a week ago when I checked...Sorry I can't help you more, I'm thinking of upgrading my 15k-lp to that one also.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just did a dd from my X15-36LP to a Atlas15k2 :). Seems quite quiet when idle, with a nice smooth sound when searching.

Putting the X15 in my other box as a boot drive.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I received a 36GB Atlas 15K II, but what a disappointment it was! The Maxtor idles as noisily as an old X15-36LP or worse, and seeks are audible. It also makes a range of annoying clicks and loud tones during startup. It sounds as if there were an onboard piezo speaker.

Whereas the performance increase from X15 -> X15-36LP -> 15K.3 was susbstantial in each case, the 15K II is virtually no improvement. Perhaps it would be a little better with a true U320 controller and/or a faster computer. At least I was able to fix the problem with the 15K.3. I hope it will last a couple more years.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmm, mine seems more quiet than my X15-36lp at idle!?

The seeks do make noise, but I do not find that disturbing.
This in a Antec 3000B case, with Zalman 7700 at minimum and Nexus 3500 (very quiet even with the 15K).

For me it was a pleasant surprise, noise wise...