ATT ripoff

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm not happy. ATT now charges $10 to "provision" new MAC addresses for cable modems. So for me to dump my old cable modem that I'm leasing from ATT and install one that I bought will cost me $10. They were probably loosing too many lease customers since modem prices are falling. Bastards.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
$10 fee + $100 CSU/DSU = small price to pay to get away from the $12 - $15/month equipment rental fee.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Epilogue: when I contacted ATT to provision a new cable modem and found that they'd charge me $10, I told them not to do anything, and undo any changes made that night until I could decide what to do. Then a few hours later I lost my connection, and was told that there was a line issue and that a tech could come out the next day...but the computer wouldn't let that happen, so instead it was scheduled for 3 days away.

Ug.

Thinking something was up, on Sunday I called them back up. Turns out the idiot who took my earlier call had de-activated my previous MAC and activated the one I didn't want to use. Idiots. I clearly told them to reset all my settings to how they had been. At least ATT will not charge me for the down time.

Moral of the story: don't trust your ISP farther than you can throw your modem with both hands tied behind your back.