Atto & Windows XP

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't know if you guys have been keeping up on this one at SR, but....

Many of you know that SCSI users have been unhappy with their Atto scores under WinXP. Just so you know...it appears that converting the disk you are testing to a Dynamic Disk solves the problem. At least it did for me. Here are my results:

atto.gif

Clocker

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think there is any problem with that. Converting is done by the OS and WinXP (with the updated version of NTFS) should not have any problems with odd cluster sizes as far as I know...

C

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
I don't think there is any problem with that. Converting is done by the OS and WinXP (with the updated version of NTFS) should not have any problems with odd cluster sizes as far as I know...

C

I saw that someone posted the differences between dynamic and basic, but what happens to my home computer if I convert to dynamic disk and then have to reinstall the OS? Will I be able to keep data on my other drives that I've converted to dynamic disk, or is their content lost once the OS has been reinstalled?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I had a dynamic disk RAID 0 array before in Win2K. It was using 2 30GB 75GXPs. I had my OS installed on my X15.

I formatted and reinstalled Win2K on my X15 and it recognized the two dynamic disk RAID-0 array with absolutely no problems.

It should be fine, Doug...

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
I had a dynamic disk RAID 0 array before in Win2K. It was using 2 30GB 75GXPs. I had my OS installed on my X15.

I formatted and reinstalled Win2K on my X15 and it recognized the two dynamic disk RAID-0 array with absolutely no problems.

It should be fine, Doug...

C

WHat I meant was, all the games and stiff I had on the RAID 0 array were still there and all my data was happy....

C

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the info... I just posted my results over at SR and Im posting them here also:

Here is my ATTO comparison from a basic to dynamic upgrade in winXP Pro.

I did the testing tonight starting with my Maxtor atlas 10KIII 18GB drive as a basic disk formatted in NTFS. (default cluster size)

I then upgraded to dynamic disk and ran the same tests again in atto:

1st run basic disk
firstbasic.jpg

2nd run basic disk
secondbasic.jpg

3rd run Dynamic disk
thirddynamic.jpg

4th run dynamic disk
fourthdynamic.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Did I miss something or did that not help?

It helped the small reads and writes around .5 to 8 from looking at the bar charts...

There is also a switch between how much my disk writes were far greater then the reads before I converted to dynamic. Now the disk reads are greater in smaller sizes.