Audio Configuration Question

ddrueding

Fixture
Here is the situation:

My wife and I both have computers in the main room. The machines themselves are in a rack with the rest of the AV gear, and a set of extension cables lead off to our desks. Our primary monitors are higher resolution than 1080P (Dell 27" and 30"), and require DVI connections. The receiver (Denon AVR-3313CI) is connected to each machine via HDMI and configured as a secondary monitor on both machines along with being the primary audio playback device. The projector is the primary HDMI out. All this works perfectly.

Here is the goal:

Each desk also has a 3.5mm stereo extension running from the AV rack to it for headphone use. I would like each of these headphone extensions to play the audio from their respective computers regardless of any settings on the receiver or the rest of the system. This means that even if the speakers are playing the audio from the computer I want the headphones to be playing the same thing. I also want the headphones to work even if the receiver is off.

The easiest way I can think of to make this work is somehow get each machine to mirror the audio out to the HDMI and onboard sound cards, but I can't find any way to do that.

Help? Thanks!

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I had to go all analog and use a splitter cable to accomplish something similar. Have 5.1 inputs on the stereo?

ddrueding

Fixture
Accurate and yet not helpful....10 points! ;)

I'm hoping for something small that can sit on the desk below the monitor and have a volume knob.

Stereodude

Not really a
Are you sure your PCs only output stereo audio, not multichannel? Can that Monoprice box convert multichannel audio to stereo? Does that device accept the exact same video timings as the receiver? Which device will the PC read the EDID from? When the receiver is off how do you get audio out of an inactive video port from the PC?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
And will you be a HDCP compliant afterwards?

As far as I can see analog is the easiest option here.

fb

Storage is cool
I don't like it very much either, but it's a chance to get it without paying $3990. :) It would be a nice computer audio system though.